Who has a 308 Norma

Good stuff here. Over the past month I've gone from 30 Nosler to WM to Norma back to WM to Norma again.

I've seen data which shows the WM beats the Norma, seen data that says the Norma at the minimum holds its own and does better with 200+ weight bullets, and according the 308 Norma guys here they are getting better loads than the WM.

I'm planning on building this rifle with a trued 700 action, Bell and Carlson Weatherby style stock, and either a Kreiger or Lija barrel, 24" plus a muzzle break. Would like to keep the rifle sub 7.75lbs unscoped. Accuracy is most important to me but I would really like to get a 190 grain, or possibly 200 grain at 3000 fps. I'm also considering getting the barrel cut 1 in 8 so I can shoot 220 grain. Ideally the gun would be versatile and I could shoot 168 grain up to 220.

I feel that with the 220 grain bullets I would get better performance out of the norma, I have a full length magnum action, which should have a lot of room in the mag box for the shorter Norma case, I would think I wouldn't have to seat the 220 grains nearly as deep as the Win Mag.

I will be buying Premium brass regardless, even if it is for a Win mag, the only real advatages I see in the Win Mag are 1) if you are on an airplane and your ammo doesn't make it to alaska, africa, montana, etc. 2) More powder capacity so can be loaded hotter with 168 grain and 180 grain bullets.

What do y'all think.

I have owned both magnums and love both there about the same you can get more powder in the 300 win mag. I now own a 300 win mag in the Remington 783 and a 308 Norma mag with a Douglas barrel on a Ruger mag action that I was told was put together by Douglas. Its a bench gun that weighs about 30 lbs. I shoot 178 gr. Amax bullets with 76 gr. of IMR 4831 the crony says the average speed is 3224 fps. I can hit oak leaves laying on the snow at 1300 yards with it. The 300 win. mag brass is a lot cheaper to buy than Norma brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.