338 Edge

WV Sendero

I've got a 338 Edge on order and I was wondering if anyone uses 375 RUM brass instead of 300 RUM? If you can use either then what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

I use 375 rum brass for both of my edge's with good results. I have never used 300 rum brass so i can't comment on advantages/disadvantages of each.

Depending on the dimensions of the neck on the chamber reamer you might need to turn the necks since you will be making the brass thicker going from 375 down to 338.

I have used both. I prefer the 375 necked down hands down. It is easier to get straight brass necking down than up. I still have to size a small bit, back out, twist, size a bit more etc.....But they do come out straighter. I also feel that there is a bit less stress on the necks although I could be off base. I would also rather have a slightly thicker neck than a thinner neck. I am using a tight neck (no turn neck) and the still feed just fine without having to turn my necks.

Shawn Carlock built one and Tim Smith from Warren,Pa.built the other. Both guns have a chamber neck diameter of .369 and my loaded neck diameter with 375 rum brass is .366,so no need to turn the necks.

i remember discussing this neck thickness from the different sizes of brass 3 or 4 years ago. Shawn took some measurements from both and determined there really wasn't any measurable difference once it was made into 338 stuff.

Thanks for the info and the advice guys. I ordered 375 RUM brass because it was in stock. I have around 300 pieces of 300 RUM brass too that I will probably try later but it has all been fired in other guns and I kinda want to start with new brass first.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts