338 edge

101sniper

I have been reloading for the 338 EDGE for a short time. 145 rounds worth. i have been using cci large rifle primers for the most part. I have tried using cci mag primers but they dont seem to shoot as well group wise as the reg. LG rifle ones. I had a small delayed ignition this past sunday only on one round with the reg lg primers. I am wondering if maybe going to some federal match primers would put me in the middle of the two cci primers. Thanks in advance for the help.
Brandon

Can't say for sure if the Fed primer falls between the two CCI primers. What I do know is that if you do change primers you will need to start your reloading procedure over. Starting low and working your way back up. Don't want to find out the hard way that the Fed creates a higher pressure!

The fed 215's are hotter than the cci 250 not between them. It is the best primer to use. Drop your charge a couple grains and work back up with the 215's. That is where my best loads are.

LTLR is right the Federals are hotter than the CCI 250's. I would try them and the Winchester WLRM next. The Winchester magnum primers are very consistent.

Thanks very much for your time fellas Looks like its federal match and winchester mags next. Thanks again.
Brandon

Last edited:
i was discussing this a couple weeks ago with someone that has a lot of experience with big cartridges. i had 2 shells not go off last year. the primer ignited, but only burnt/blackened the bottom 1/3 of the powder column. this was with the edge and 215 primers. he said it's important to get as close as possible to a 100% load density for this reason. if there's too much room in there to move the powder, not enough of it will get ignited and won't go off, inconsistant ignition, cause higher than normal spreads, of course accuracy will suffer. it's why you use magnum primers in the big stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.