338 edge

Looking at building a 338 edge, anyone have any experience with bertram brass? Is it better than the nosler and Remington brass for life and consistency?

Looking at building a 338 edge, anyone have any experience with bertram brass? Is it better than the nosler and Remington brass for life and consistency?

Not sure about Bertram. At one point I'd have said that Nosler/Norma isn't going to handle the pressure that RP will. I have a different opinion now. The RP RUM brass is far below what Norma is producing. I recently had to retire a batch of RP 338 RUM after 4 reloads. I replaced it with Nosler headstamped Norma brass. I now have 6 loads on my first box of Nosler and the pockets are still tight when loaded to the same velocity as my RP loads.

Oh really that's interesting, a lot of people in other posts were saying the nosler brass wasn't lasting long but I'm glad to hear your success with it because I have already stocked up on some. I also didn't know Norma made nosler brass thank you for the information.

I think people think they can transfer their RP loads straight over to Nosler and end up over pressure. I've found that Nosler/Norma RUM takes about 2 grains less powder to reach velocity. I run Norma in the 300 and 338 RUM. In both, RP has under performed compared to Norma produced brass.

Yup. As far as the RUM goes, Nosler and Norma are the same. I can't positively say that it applies for all the different chamberings.

I bought several hundred pieces of Norma 300 Rum brass for an edge build. They all weighed within +- 1 grain of 290 grains. My Lapua 223 brass that weighs over 3x less has a spread of +- 3 grains. Norma 300 Rum brass is by far the most consistent I've ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.