338 EDGE throat

Brambles

I'm having a 338 edge built and am wondering how I should tell the gunsmith to throat it?

It will have the Wyatt 4" box and a 9.5 twist barrel

I don't want it to be a one bullet wonder, I wouldn't mind being able to experiment with 250 to 300 gr bullets.

I'm thinking something along the lines of throating it so a 300gr berger tactical OTM will fit the mag and be seated JUST off the lands.

Then if I use a 250 I can just seat them out a bit further.

Whatcha think?

Any better ideas please feel free to let me know.

Another online source says

"When I set up my throat length, I did so with the 250 grain SMK projectile seated with the base of its bearing surface level with the bottom of the case neck. This way the 300 grain SMK was seated to be down into the powder column slightly."

The jury may be out.De has shot alot of 300 smk's. I am shooting the 300 berger as are some others here. I think a bit like JE THAT A 250 would be fine in my Norma, but the 300 shoots so good and I LIKE THE IDEA of a big football. Also Nosler is said to be working on the 300 NAB. So far I have been blowing big holes in stuff.The Norma was designed to shoot the 300, the case was shortened to accomodate the the long bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts