338 Edge - History And Development by Shawn Carlock

Shawn I've seen some impressive videos of game taken with your 338 Edge. I currently hunt with a .338 Win Mag and really like hunting with it, especially when I'm in Alaska. I have two questions:

1.) Have you made any rifles for left-handed shooters?

2.) Do you have any load data for any of the Barnes bullets for your Edge?gun)

Chris at Pac/Nor was the first person to have .338/300 reamer to my knowledge! LOngtimelongranger talked to Chris at the shot show about this cartridge and ordered about
a dozen barrels, the first was headspaced to one of my actions the day they arrived, several years before they were given a name (338 edge)! I'm not saying it's a bad thing to name a cartridge mighty good marketing gimmick in fact. Naming the cartridge is totally unnecessary
as people who work with wildcat calibers for the most part are pretty smart individuals to start
with. I know of 3 or 4 people who have done extensive load developement with the .338/300 when you had to buy 300 rum loaded ammo pull the bullets and neck up the brass to produce
the round. I think Chris should get the credit for the .338/300 design and Shawn for giving it a name...

I know of 3 or 4 people who have done extensive load developement with the .338/300 when you had to buy 300 rum loaded ammo pull the bullets and neck up the brass to produce
the round.

Back in the fall of '99' I bought a S/S 700 Sendero in 338 Ultra and immediately sent it off to Jerry Simison in Mn. to have it rechambered to 300/338. Since 300 brass wasn't available to handloaders yet, that's exactly what I had to do. Buy loaded rounds for $35.00 a box,(cheap now) pull the 180 Partitions, and neck them up. The interesting part was, the first box I pulled bullets from, I was lining up the bullets on the bench and one was taller than the rest. So I set it on the scale and it was a 200 grainer instead! Suppose they backed the powder down for that one?

I Have an AICS LA stock as well as a Stiller TAC300 action with a .308 bolt.
I was thinking about getting a Magnum bolt for the 338 Edge project.
The AICS mags allows a max length of 3.6".
Do you think the average 338 edge cartridge would fit in it.
Or should I turn to a different caliber?
Thanks for you help.
jp

338 Edge Load Information

I was thinking about the AICS stock for the Rem 700 LA for a 338 Edge build myself, until I discovered this one little issue.

Shawn loads all his 300gr SMK loads at 3.785.

I decided to go the Seekins/Bell & Carlson route instead. I like the mag release on the Seekins bottom metal better anyway.

how the edge compare to the 338 lapua ? And can you make an iproved verison of the edge

Hi I have a 338 edge ackley improved do not waste your time if you are expecting any performance gains, my buddy has a 338 edge and they perform the same. I tried filling with h2o and weighing them, there is as best as I could tell 1 grain of capacity more. The problem we found 93 grains H1000 max . If we pushed it more the brass was ruined, on that note I also would not spend the money on nosler brass again. I hand sort my rem brass and prep I have had good results with this. The nosler brass in our guns you need to back down the charge or the brass is ruined. p.s. the dies cost me $150.00 more then my buddys. Both guns shoot awesome.

Hi I have a 338 edge ackley improved do not waste your time if you are expecting any performance gains, my buddy has a 338 edge and they perform the same. I tried filling with h2o and weighing them, there is as best as I could tell 1 grain of capacity more. The problem we found 93 grains H1000 max . If we pushed it more the brass was ruined, on that note I also would not spend the money on nosler brass again. I hand sort my rem brass and prep I have had good results with this. The nosler brass in our guns you need to back down the charge or the brass is ruined. p.s. the dies cost me $150.00 more then my buddys. Both guns shoot awesome.

I had my gunsmith cut a long throat when he fixed up his stuff up with his first chamber. My 300 grn SMK bullets are now seated OAL of 3.985 and I got to 97 grains of H1000 before I got any flattening of the primer. Velocity 2958fps. This may be a better way to got than an AI chamber and shorter seating depth.

I was wondering if you had tried any lighter bullets such as a 225 gr and if so what kind of velocities you could achieve.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.