338 edge case trimmer

rickdavis81

What do you guys use for a case trimmer on your 338 Edge brass. I use the lee trimmer setup but don't see one for it. Is there a different cartridge that uses the same size? Or do I have to break down and buy a nice trimmer?

I assume you mean other than the 300 ultra mag? I am unfamiliar with lees trimmer but are you talking about a standard case trimming lathe? I use a standard rcbs trimmer with 3 way cutting head and it works fine but I had to modify the back of the cutting head to accommodate the cartridge length.

It is the " trinket " that I am unfamiliar with. The shell holder? yes.......A trim length gage? no.......A neck mandrel? NO.

I just looked up the case trimmer affectionately known as "trinket"...........Having seen how it works= you might be able to get away with it but the 338 rum mandrel would be to short.. the 300 rum mandrel would be the right length but would not keep the neck centered, The case holder might be able to but it looks like it would be problematic. Extreme runout would probably be the end result. I expect a big magnum wildcat is a great justification to invest in a trimming lathe. If I were you I would pick one up. I have the hornady and the rcbs and prefer the rcbs but like I said earlier had to dremel a little so it could pull out far enough for the edge cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts