338 edge brass ?

not going to claim to have any experience with 375 brass, but if it's like all the other ultra mag brass, the neck wall thickness will be on the thick side. one advantage of pushing out the 300 brass to 338 is the wall thickness will be around .015 which is about as thick as you want. when squeezing down 375 brass to 338, i will almost guarantee you the necks will have to be turned as the neck thickness will be close to or over .020 thick. i don't know of any reamers made for the edge that have a neck diameter big enough to have clearance for a .378 loaded round.

Dave,

I too figured the same before I tried it. It turns out that after sizing down the 375 the neck wall thickness is only .001-.0015" thicker than the 300 rum brass necked out (odd). I have used it with out turning and gotton good results. If you use a neck bushing die to size with it is easier to buy a 338 RUM FL sizing die from RCBS to do the initial neck out than to use the bushing die.

Thanks for the info I can get some 375 rum brass locally but you just can't find 300 rum brass. this is the first wildcat round for me. I have all ways had popular cartridges like 270 win and 300 winmag.

Shawn have you used 200 gr accubonds in your edge if so what was your recipe. I plan on shooting 300 smk's i just wanted to break the barrel in with something a little less expencive and easier to get right now.

been there, done that, will trump a theory every time.

Griz, when you get that 375 brass, could you measure a couple of the necks before you change them. would be interesting to know if the thickness is different than the 300. maybe the wall thickness on the 300's is a little thicker than the 375?

Hello shawn. My reply might be off base but i have a question how many rounds should i be able to fire accurately if i take off my factory sendero bbl barrel and instal a broughton heavy sporter thanks in advance for the info.

BG408,

Did you mean 200 gr Nosler Btips?

Jeremy,

There are just too many variables in barrel life. I've had guys shoot out barrels in 1000 rounds and I've got guys on almost 2000 rounds still shooting. I'd love to give you an answer but I just don't have a solid accurate answer. I'm hoping to get 1500-1800 rounds of premium accuracy from mine but that is just a hope.

Shawn

I have some 200gr nosler accu bonds. I was just wondering if you tried any in your edge? I know they have the same bc as ballistic tips and you can use the same load for both.

Thanks Shawn I appericiate the info I have had 150gr ab's in a 300 winmag at 3500fps and it does nasty things to deer. Now I am going to get to try it with a 338 edge that is getting built as soon as my barrel gets here.

thanks for your help agin

James

Someone has likely posted this but I can't find it: trim length for 338 Edge brass. I know how to find my chamber length but I was wondering if there was a standard. Also has anyone discovered early signs of pressure with a Rock barrel?

Someone has likely posted this but I can't find it: trim length for 338 Edge brass. I know how to find my chamber length but I was wondering if there was a standard. Also has anyone discovered early signs of pressure with a Rock barrel?

Crane,

2.85 is the case length.

Take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.