338 edge brass reforming

bwest270

I am attempting to run 300 ultra mag brass (Nosler) through a redding 338 edge die to expand the necks from 308 to 338. I am getting case deformation due to the pressure required to force that case through that die. I am coating the inside of the necks with lube so that isnt the problem. Any suggestions?

Hi,
I have Shawn Carlock's modified die set and haven't had a problem. He uses a tapered redding expander to just open the neck without using the full stroke of the press handle.
You then changer the exapnder to a .30 cal expander and resize through the S bushed redding die.

The expander may possibly need a tapered version which just unscrews onto the priming rod if that makes sense.

Glad I went and bought Shawns straight up even if they cost a little more. I was going to do the same and just buy edge dies from redding

Brand new formed Edge cases without fire forming are whacking into in 1 inch with my new girl at 300 . I will hopefully get it down to 1/2 Moa at 300 from my Sendero taper Lawton tube and indicators are I will be able to that once I fine tune the load and length a bit more. Finding the sweet spot around 93gn in MY rifle.. 94 is showing promise with no real pressure signs.Every rifle is different though work up.. I have shots touching but there is some operator error still.

I have just had the firing pin bushed similar to a custom Lawton 7000 firing pin lets see what happens!

You may find that the expander button isn't tapered/smooth enough.

I don't think the Redding one is designed to expand the necks that much.

I had a similar problem so I took the button out & made it more like a Hornady one, using a drill & grinder, then various grits of sandpaper to make it smooth.

For me personally, I found the Nosler brass too soft. Was getting pressure signs way earlier than the Remmy brass I am using. Considerably more expensive, and the accuracy in my rifle wasn't any better.

Use a tapered expander button. I havent had any issues while forming edge brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.