List of brass reforming options?

LRSickle

Lately I've had a hard time finding 300WSM brass, (imagine that!). I just passed up a free bag of 325WSM brass not knowing that I could have use it for my 300WSM. I usually google for info or look up the SAAMI specs to see if it's possible to convert one caliber to another. Does anyone know of a website or some kind of list that has a comprehensive or partial list of cases that can be converted to something else? I know it's a long shot because such a list could be long and exhausting but it would nice to have.

Generally speaking if the case head is the same and the case is as long or longer than what you want to make you can use them. There are so many wildcats that a list would be ridiculously long.

Generally speaking if the case head is the same and the case is as long or longer than what you want to make you can use them. There are so many wildcats that a list would be ridiculously long.
Exactly. That's some of the info I use to determine what case I can use for whatever I'm converting. It would be nice to have some kind of quick reference though.

Lately I've had a hard time finding 300WSM brass, (imagine that!). I just passed up a free bag of 325WSM brass not knowing that I could have use it for my 300WSM. I usually google for info or look up the SAAMI specs to see if it's possible to convert one caliber to another. Does anyone know of a website or some kind of list that has a comprehensive or partial list of cases that can be converted to something else? I know it's a long shot because such a list could be long and exhausting but it would nice to have.

I have taken screen shots of SAMMI specs and compared differences. So I think you are on the right track.

I recently converted 300wsm to 270wsm and found it easiest to size in steps. Since I didn't have bushing dies to step down in sizes I did have 300wsm and 270wsm FL dies. I first sized without the expader ball with the 300wsm die ,that made the final sizing easier.
You could see if Lee makes a cheap 325 FL die to use w/o the expander ball. Otherwise I'd try to get a bushing die with intermediate bushings to size down.
I feel you pain. Once had to use 338 wm brass to make 7rm brass. Anyway I hope this helps.

Also you will most likely need to neck turn.

I've been making major changes to my rifles at hand over the last 10 years... I came to the conclusion during the last shortage to unload any rifle that is non standard..sold a few .300's for a good chambered win mag...all my 7mm's gone and replaced with the 7 mm rem mag.. The only one I have left is a model 7 stainless in 300 SAUM and 250 pieces of brass. I refuse to drive myself nuts begging and searching for brass for 200 fps.. I think a lot of people are or will be thinking that way shortly. I went to a little obscure gun shop over the weekend, this small places owner always had anything I ever needed..even .300 rum casing in bags, Berger 180 and up .308's , primers of all kinds and just about any powder I'd ask for but he said he can no longer get it keep stuff in stock like he did even last fall...something's in the wind !!!

I've been making major changes to my rifles at hand over the last 10 years... I came to the conclusion during the last shortage to unload any rifle that is non standard..sold a few .300's for a good chambered win mag...all my 7mm's gone and replaced with the 7 mm rem mag.. The only one I have left is a model 7 stainless in 300 SAUM and 250 pieces of brass. I refuse to drive myself nuts begging and searching for brass for 200 fps.. I think a lot of people are or will be thinking that way shortly. I went to a little obscure gun shop over the weekend, this small places owner always had anything I ever needed..even .300 rum casing in bags, Berger 180 and up .308's , primers of all kinds and just about any powder I'd ask for but he said he can no longer get it keep stuff in stock like he did even last fall...something's in the wind !!!

300RUM is another one I've had a hard time finding for my .338 Edge. I did stumble across some 7mm RUM that I reformed to .338.
I lost two bids for 300WSM and two bids for 300RUM lately on GunBroker. It's getting frustrating.
I'm flying down to Utah/Idaho in a week. I think I'll spend a couple days hitting all the sports and pawn shops I can while I'm down there.

As a slight counter point, my local Sportsmans has more powders on the shelf than they have had in several years. They have pretty much anything you would want in both large and small jugs. They also have most primer brands and bunches of Nosler and Hornady brass. They even had 2 boxes of the new 200 grain ELD-Xs on the shelf. And I was able to pick up new Winchester brand 7mm WSM brass off Powder Valley the other day and I have been looking for that for 2 years. So... it isn't bad every where.

As a slight counter point, my local Sportsmans has more powders on the shelf than they have had in several years. They have pretty much anything you would want in both large and small jugs. They also have most primer brands and bunches of Nosler and Hornady brass. They even had 2 boxes of the new 200 grain ELD-Xs on the shelf. And I was able to pick up new Winchester brand 7mm WSM brass off Powder Valley the other day and I have been looking for that for 2 years. So... it isn't bad every where.

I've found quite a few Hornady brass but I've balked buying it because I only got three loads out of it a few years ago. I'll have to look at Powder Valley. Thanks for the heads up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.