338 custom

Skimbleshanks

Hello,
My name is Logan and I am considering using a Stillers predator extreme or tac 338 action for a custom rifle in 338 lapua or 338 allen xpress and had a couple of questions. Will either of these actions accept a barrel with a shank diameter of 1.225"? Will this size barrel leave enough of a shoulder to properly clamp the recoil lug in place? Can either of these actions be had as a singleshot? Lastly do rem 700 picatinny bases fit these action.
Thank you for your time.

The Predator Xtreme and TAC 338 actions are the same except for the colors. Both have a 1-1/8 thread diameter. With a barrel shank of only 1.225 that would only leave you with .05" per side of shoulder. I'd want more than that, especially for a large magnum. I prefer a minimum barrel shank of 1.3" for this size thread. Either of these actions can be had in a single shot or repeater. A Remington 700 scope base will not fit these actions. They are 1.450" diameter all the way back. You would need a scope bases from Stillers or have a custom one made up.

Hello,
My name is Logan and I am considering using a Stillers predator extreme or tac 338 action for a custom rifle in 338 lapua or 338 allen xpress and had a couple of questions. Will either of these actions accept a barrel with a shank diameter of 1.225"? Will this size barrel leave enough of a shoulder to properly clamp the recoil lug in place? Can either of these actions be had as a singleshot? Lastly do rem 700 picatinny bases fit these action.
Thank you for your time.

+1 with Kevin,i used a 1.350 shank on my tac 338 action.Rem triggers will fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.