338 Big Baer in Turkish Walnut

aspenbugle

Here is my new build...finally here.

338 Big Baer, Bat M 8.5, Benchmark 10 twist at 30 inches
Cerrakoted Black, Jewel Trigger, Bat 20 MOA base
Turkish Walnut Stock (by Joel Russo) - Russo Stock design

Gun built by Bruce Baer, all stock work by Joel Russo

I was originally going to go laminate or McMillan for the stock and save the nice wood for a dangerous game rifle, but Joel's appreciation of fine wood rubbed off on me a little bit. Best decision I made - she's gorgeous even if I do say so myself...

I have to say - I have a couple other custom guns, but the workmanship and detail by Baer and Joel or incredible on this. It truly is a work of art. Haven't even shot her yet - hope she shoots have as good as her cousin Eleanor (Joel's gun). What can I say about Joel - he didn't just do the stock, but shared lots of great advice and was invaluable to this build. He's a total class act, all the way! Baer builds one fine gun...Watch out elk!

Attachments

• 338 Big Baer 3.jpg
    338 Big Baer 3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 133
  • Shanina 5 338 Big Baer.jpg
    Shanina 5 338 Big Baer.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 338 Big Baer 1.jpg
    338 Big Baer 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 141
  • 338 Big Baer 2.jpg
    338 Big Baer 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Shanina 4 338 Big Baer.jpg
    Shanina 4 338 Big Baer.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 126
Thanks

She's just shy of 16lbs without scope...so I guess I'll be in the 18lb range with glass (might be a wee heavy for a sheep hunt :) )

Yep - planning on the 300 gr MKs

That is one SWEET lookin rig!!!
Joel sure makes the best of a piece of wood and very helpfull!

i think classy sums it up. nothing does that like a wood stock. that one is exceptional.
so now you can get your new ammomaster press set up and follow the instructions you got.
deburr those case necks first, mine were a little rough.
id be interested in your load results from the 30" barrel.
apperently thats enough barrel with that cartridge.
mines 34" and 1.250 all the way.

That's the finest wood stock I believe that I have ever seen !! I really like the flueted bolt as well.

It was a pleasure working with you as well Aspen.

I knew this one was going to be "purdy" when I opened up the blank...

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 126
Yobuck - I'll let you know on the loads. That is what I was told - 30" should be good. 34" 1.25 all the way on yours - now that's a hunk of barrel. Wow. I really like the whole package here, stock barrel contour/coating etc...hopefully it all works great.

Willys46 - You're probably right...although he still only gets to work with what ya give him, so I'm sure he wishes we'd all buy a beautiful hunk of wood to let him start with. Ya give him plywood - he'll give your pretty plywood, but it's still plywood :) As others have said though - he sure seems to bring out the best of what you give him. 5 years down the road, that few hundred $ extra fer purty wood will seem like the best $ ever spent (already does).

I'll try to get a few more close-ups when I can. Also forgot I didn't have the right shellholder for reloading - she's a big'un, so it's on the way. Can't wait to be sittin' with her on a 10,000ft high mountain ridge on a brisk Oct. morning here in Colorado, already hiked in, set up, just gettin light, herd of elk 900yds across the canyon...he he he. Big 6 pt bull through the Schmidt and Bender, 300gr MK lookin down the tube waitin for the order...he he he :) Ka Booom! Shanina bellows...

Oh, I can't wait....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.