338 AM assembled, pics....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, finally I took a couple hours last night and cleaned up the bedding on my newest project. Many of you know a bit about it but for those that do not here is a short list of the componants in the rifle chambered for my 338 Allen Mag which is based on the 408 CT case:

-Lilja 40", 1.750" straight cylinder, 1-10, 338 barrel
-BAT 2"x10" single shot receiver
-BAT 40 MOA rail base
-McMillan 50LBR stock weighted to 22 lbs
-Rifles Basix 2-6 oz trigger
-Badger Ord Max 50 rings
-Currently USS Xotic scope in the saddles

For bedding I decided to make up some 1" diameter Stainless Steel pillars with 82 degree counter sunk heads to accept the three 1/4"-28 TPI high grade receiver bolts.

The Pillars were then bedded using Steel Bed and then the receiver was bedded with Marine tex. Only the receiver was bedded and the entire barrel is free floated.

Because of the amount of stress that will be applied to these action screws I decided to give the bedding a full 8 days of curing time. Most of which has been spent sitting in direct sunlight which has really been heating the bedding up nicely to insure the cure.

In milling the bedding out last night it was clear that the bedding was fully cured through and through so I decided to do the total assembly and see how she looks.

396165.jpg

This pic shows the left side of the big girl. For some reason my pics are grainy when posted by the host web site, not sure why. You can see the barreled receiver is still unfinished. I wanted to test the rifle off the bench first to see how recoil was and then determine if I want to machine a brake for it or not. After that decision it will be shipped off to Shawn C. for a coating of Black Teflon to match up with the stock and scope. This will explain the nickname I have given her of "Black Sunshine"!!

396166.jpg

396167.jpg

This pic shows the receiver details. The stock was shipped with a square tang design and my receiver has a tapered tang so I bedded this area and then milled flat after it cured, turned out well in my opinion.

396170.jpg

This pic shows the 338 AM next to my 30" barreled 257 Allen Mag for size comparision, its a bit larger!!!

Its hard to imagine how heavy a 60 lb rifle is until you actually latch onto the **** thing and start moving it around!!! It feels much more like 100 lbs at first!!!

Today I will start the barrel break in and hopefully by next week I will be range testing the rifle and then get her shipped down to get coated and finished.

Will keep you posted. Performance goals are 3500 fps with a 300 gr ULD RBBT and 3300 fps with a 350 gr ULD RBBT. This is for a 36" barrel length, obviously the 40" pipe will offer more, have to see how much more though!!

More to come soon. Next up after this will be a sub 15 lb rifle weight model to try to get it ready to hunt under 16 lbs for my whitetail hunt this fall with Shawn C. Should be exciting to say the least!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If anyone wants to see pics that do not Suck for quality, send me an e-mail and I will e-mail them to you, not sure why they are doing this from the pic host site.

Kirby

Kirby, you need to get away from that photo hosting site. Try this one: Photo Bucket You'll find it works much better.
Some sites autmatically lower the resolution of images to conserve on storage space.
Nice rig, looks like its gonna be fun to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That thing was impressive when I saw the parts before assembly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif After assembly I think it's even better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By itself the scale and proportions are deceiving but alongside the other "normal" rifle, the size becomes a little more apparent. Taking into account the fact that the "little" 257 is a standard sized action and has a 30" barrel you kinda get an idea what the finished product really is. Looks great!!!

Looks like the Allen boys will be kicking up a lot of dust waaaay out there this summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted when you get it coated and also when you start getting bullets down range.

buffalobob:

I would say that given this beast's capabilities, "necessity" would be a better description for the 40 moa base. Kirby is gonna be able to sit in his back yard and hunt the west half of Montana now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a 20 moa base on my 7mm AM and may go to one with more "tilt" this summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In case the difference between the two guns pictured above is not readily apparent, and maybe you didn't see the earlier pics, here is the pic Kirby posted earlier of the Bat action for this new gun along side a standard 700 action.
372686.jpg

That is one bad mother Kirby! It will look incredible with the black teflon job. What a devastating combination, a 350 ULD @ 3300!

Very nice to say the least.
Does it use a recoil lug???
The perportions look about right.
How much does the barreld action weigh?
I have been drooling over a BAT 1x10 for along time and seeing the receiver with the 1.7" barrel anything less would look funny.
Does a 40" lilja cost much more than a normal length barrel?

Kirby

I was having a really good day tell I seen this post!! You just had to post pictures of the .338 AM now I'm all jacked up again waiting for the parts to arrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif **** that looks great!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Can't wait for you to get some serious load development done for it than maybe you can let me use it tell you get mine done even if it is wrong handed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Larry

pretty shoddy if ya ask me, look at it, the cranks on the wrong side and they left the wheels off of it!
way cool kirby! did you weigh that USS scope? those big things are heavy!
JS

[ QUOTE ]
Does it use a recoil lug???

[/ QUOTE ]
look at the picture two post above yours you will see the recoil lug

[ QUOTE ]
Does a 40" lilja cost much more than a normal length barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a 2 inch by 40 inch one that cost me @ $600

the barrel and action should weight around 40 lbs for mine, Kirbys might be a little less with the 1.7 diameter barrel

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.