338-378 wby 225 CE Bullet

LTLR... I am going with the snipetac version of the 338-408. I got the barreled action back from Dave and have just been making my head hurt trying to finalize the stock and barrel block design. I think the 252's might be interesting I have a 34" barrel and should be able to get plenty of speed.

How has the fouling been with these bullets?

No problem with fouling. I clean regularly for copper fouling. With that snipe-tac it would be hard for me not to try that 325 grain Rocky Mountain bullet with the 1. something BC to go past a mile. You could make 2000 yard plus shots with that rifle. My hunting is inside 1300 yards and the 225 works best for me at that range. You would have a mighty flat shooting 1500 yard rifle with the 225 going 3700 fps. Good luck with yours.You could probably shoot the 252 at what I am shooting the 225.

I was having a lot of fun this morning. My 225 grain accubond load hit 3440-3460 fps. I hit this load at 3507 fps with a .65 bc and amazing accuracy and have been excited all day planning what I am going to do with it. I have got to work this gun in on some hunts this year. This is the best load I have ever had in this rifle. I will pay for the bullets if they work. I am hoping they do well on game. I will get plenty of chances starting with caribou in Alaska. This rifle is just way fun to shoot. The bullets really are the cheapest thing of the hunt and the most important. If a guy shot targets regularly they would get expensive. But get the right load and just check zero each year this rifle will not get much use other than killing stuff. Bullets are cheap that way to have that kind of accuracy with a .65 bc going 3507 fps.
Emphasis mine.

This is so true and cannot be stated often enough. Having spent the last twenty plus years as a guide and outfitter I have seen all too often where a client decided to scrimp on ammo and ended up blowing a hunt as a result.

The only time the price of ammo should affect your choices of ammo is when you are plinking or shooting clay targets for fun.

Shot some over the weekend with different seating depths and in my rifle the 225 CE bullets are going to shoot best with a COAL just over 4 inches. That 4.05 length shot very well again and 4.06 shot well. That load of 127.5 grains of H-870 is just deadly averaging just over 3500 fps. I will make a few long kills with this rifle this year. It is just a pleasure to shoot with this load at long range. No recoil and great ballistics.

If I was you I would do a bit of testing in different temperatures before the big hunt as 870 varys alot and might course you trouble at loong rangelightbulb

It is temp sensitive. My bullets are always kept in a pocket close to my body in cold temps for consistent temperature. When I am ready for the long shot I pull one out and fire. I have made long range kills in below zero temps with h-870. All powders are temp sensitive although some more so than others so I always keep my long range killers next to my body for consistent temp control. I keep some in the magazine for quick close work but always bring one out of my pocket for long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.