338-378 Wby - keep or re chamber to .338 Edge?

Yep - this is a Long Range thread not a minimalist thread :). Just kidding , it's all good.

I figure shoot the big guns now while I can take the recoil - life's short - build the gun!

The Norma does have less body taper, however, according to Quikloads it has 111.0 grains of capacity and the Lapua only has 108.0 Just to throw it out there. Also, because of the design of the cases, the Norma has more "Useable" capacity when loading the 300 grain bullets to the same length.

I could be wrong about the case capacity. The 2 sources I looked at showed the Lapua with a bit more but I haven't measured them personally.

I still think the 338-378 and 338 Lapua Improved are the best options for shooting 345 grain bullets from a Mark V sized action. If you go easy on your brass the Weatherby chambering is pretty dang good. if you tend to run your brass really hard then it might be worth making the extra initial investment for the Lapua Improved.

I don't know what you are trying to do , but the 338-378 will give more speed them the Edge or Lapua? With any bullet the same weight!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.