to keep or sell my GA 338 lapua sako trg

ericromb

just traded a m40a1 308 for the GA 338 in concern of going out west and shooting game 800-1000 yrds with concerns of energy with the 308. now i am in question with myself with going with a little less like a 300 win mag or 300wsm because i don't load and ammo is hard to come by and at $90 a box. please any suggestions or opinions would greatly be helpful.

thanks eric

I would suggest that if you are good enough to be shooting game at 800 - 1000 yards that you are good enough to dial the gun in to 1K and kill a couple of animals and have a couple of bullets left in the box.

Dialin
100 yards = 3 rounds
300 yards = 2 rounds
500 yards = 2 rounds
700 yards = 2 rounds
1000 yards = 4 rounds

Hunt
Recheck Zero = 2 rounds
Deer = 1 round
elk = 2 rounds

Total bullets shot = 18 rounds.

Anyway, that is what it took me give or take a couple. Of course I am a poor shot and missed the deer at 1350 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

my buddy who i got the gun from gave me 40 of his hand load and he said it would be very close to the 250 gr blak hills ammo that is avail

[ QUOTE ]
close to the 250 gr blak hills ammo that is avail

[/ QUOTE ]

Close isn't good enough at 1K.

If he is your buddy, then get the gun dialed in and have him reload the empties up so you got the 40 ready to hunt.

Alternative is to get the loading data from him and get more brass and send it to a custom reloader to have it loaded for you.

Hi Keep the rifle and load it up with 300gr Sierra's. I believe Black Hills loads them aswell. If you want to shoot factory that is fine but chronograph the loads and you will be able to duplicate their performance with handloads aswell.

The 300gr Sierra will give you much better performance out of the 338 Lapua if you dont hand load go over to your mates house and see if he will help you reload and get 100 cases and you will be set for a long time and only need to bother him every few months to years depending how many rounds you shoot off.

Cheers Bill
Australia

i am going in 2 or 3 weeks to get a hand loading setup at cabelas and everything else i need. and my buddy is going to come up and visit and is going to give me a course in loading. he already has a load set up for the gun in which he was getting a 4" group at 850yrds.
thanks for the replies

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.