338-06 vs 8mm-06 vs 35 Wheelen vs 375 Wheelen vs 9.3x62 POWER!

I'm pretty sure we all knew what you meant - just having some fun with the other kind of "drop."
If you look at the three attachments I included on the first response to your OP, there is a column in each that shows the bullet drop over distance. Those are for my three main .35 Whelen AI loads. Please let me know if those pdfs open for you - one of the respondents called them "dead links", but they open fine on my laptop.
If you go to Burris Ballistics online you can generate dope cards for any load you want to input that show the same drop data. It's a very easy tool to use.

Cheers,
Rex

Truly an outstanding comparison touting the usefulness of 9.3 on Dangerous Game. Wow factor right there. Being so narrowminded I only considered North American Game for this thread. You brought in an entirely new depth of understanding for the 9.3 Caliber. I had hoped the 338-06 would have a larger long range following considering the high bc bullets it's case capacity could launch. I must be thinking of the 338-300 Win Mag, which brings up the subject of another thread.
Do you have a LINK for the 338-300 Win Mag article??? 😎

Nothing wrong with any of the cartridges listed but times such as they are in the reloading world with NO END in sight I'd just use the plain Jane.338wm if I needed that much power....just to much expense, grief and anxiety these days for zero gain...

back about 30 years ago, a good friend of mine built two 338/300WM's. He called them 339's, after going thru 2 barrels he came to the conclusion that it was a waste of work for the few fps he added. He just went back to his 340 Wby...Naturally the 339 was a bit more than the 338 and less than the 340. Shocker eh........

back about 30 years ago, a good friend of mine built two 338/300WM's. He called them 339's, after going thru 2 barrels he came to the conclusion that it was a waste of work for the few fps he added. He just went back to his 340 Wby...Naturally the 339 was a bit more than the 338 and less than the 340. Shocker eh........
Apparently I've been lured into derailing my own thread. In response the Wby Ammo is roughly five to 100 times more expensive than anything else, adding todays bullets and powders offer the handloader far more than 30 years ago. I'd bet most are attempting to duplicate the 340 performance as a goal. I don't have the link handy as there is Math that proves the 338 WM is the most efficient commercial version 33 caliber available, albiet the 300 WM case gives it that little extra for higher BC projectiles. Shame on you for dismissing one of my favorite Wildcats I someday aspire to own (bursting my fragile little bubble). Cheers.

Well, I have both the 338WM and 340 Bee.
Even with handloads in 26" barrels, the best I can achieve is a 100fps increase with the 340 over the 338.
Ran both rounds over the Pressure Trace, it just doesn't increase velocity before pressure peaks.
The only advantage was with 275g Speer's, which I still have quite a few hundred of from my bear hunting days. Actually bought them for Asiatic Buffalo, they work so well they will take down anything.

Cheers.

Well, I have both the 338WM and 340 Bee.
Even with handloads in 26" barrels, the best I can achieve is a 100fps increase with the 340 over the 338.
Ran both rounds over the Pressure Trace, it just doesn't increase velocity before pressure peaks.
The only advantage was with 275g Speer's, which I still have quite a few hundred of from my bear hunting days. Actually bought them for Asiatic Buffalo, they work so well they will take down anything.

Cheers.
Hey, you did better than Nosler. Their top load with the 250 Partition in the 340Wby only gets 50 FPS more than their top load in the 338WM. Their data show about a 22% increase in powder capacity for the Bee, so we'd expect more like 150 FPS increase (5.4% velocity increase - since velocity potential increases at about 25% of capacity increase) if both were loaded to the same pressure and other variables constant. But, the 338WM is a SAAMI 64K round, while the 340 WBY is SAAMI 63K. This could explain some of the "underachievement." But they shot the Bee in a 26" Lilja and the WM in a 24" Wiseman, which should offset that - go figure...

Cheers,
Rex

The 340 starts to pay off when you go to heavy bullets like the 300 gr Berger.
26" bbl is also too short.
I discovered this a decade ago.
This is why I designed my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° cartridge in a 32" barrel.
It is very similar to the 33XC.

Cheers.

I discovered this a decade ago.
This is why I designed my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° cartridge in a 32" barrel.
It is very similar to the 33XC.

Cheers.
What's the contour on that long barrel? I can't imagine lugging something like that anywhere but the bench 😂
28" unbraked is about my max for hunting rifles, and I actually prefer a 24". I can't even imagine what shooting off-hand must be like in a rifle of that length.

Contour is 1.250" straight to muzzle, then 5 port muzzle brake.
It's stainless but coated black to suit the action.
Have decided to go 33XC when my barrel comes in sometime next year.
I don't shoot it offhand, only from the bench or the bed of my truck, comes in at about 18lbs.

Cheers.