338-06 AS vs 338 Hawk ... pressure

Porker

Hello lads,

just a quicky ... with the shoulder moved forward on the 338 Hawk, giving greater capacity (i believe they use the 280 case as platform), will pressure levels account for less recoil as compared to the 338-06 AS given the same load and bullet? Thinking that the A- square is a more compressed round...

Hello lads,

just a quicky ... with the shoulder moved forward on the 338 Hawk, giving greater capacity (i believe they use the 280 case as platform), will pressure levels account for less recoil as compared to the 338-06 AS given the same load and bullet? Thinking that the A- square is a more compressed round...

With bullet weight,pressure and rifle weight the same , Recoil will be the same.

With that said if you increase the powder capacity you can load a slower powder and still acheave
the same velocity.The change will be in recoil velocity (Felt recoil, or how fast the rifle moves
when fired).

Slower powders push more instead of whacking you, so the recoil is perceived as less even though
the bullet energy is the same.

I would think that with more case capacity you could get the same velocity and energy with
less recoil velocity (Felt recoil).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts