338-06 vs 338 Win Mag

Sectional density doesn't make up for frontal area.
You can see a physical difference in game when hit by the 33 cal in comparison to a 30 cal.
Same goes going from a 30 magnum to a 33 magnum. They just hit harder and displace more tissue.

Cheers.
I would agree with that, an elk hit with a 338 win acts different than an elk hit with a 300 Weatherby. I've lung elk shot with both at under 100 yards. Both died, 338 acted hit harder. Makes me want to work up a 200 grain hammer load for my 35 Whelan at close to 3000 fps.

I've seen the same thing too.A 30cal tends to make a bigger wound channel than what I normally see with like bullets and similar velocities than my 7mag.A stoutly loaded 30-06 seems to hit as hard or harder than my 7mag.300WSM or 300 Win Mag defiantly hits really hard.The red stag I killed with my 338-06 using a 200gr CT Silver Ballistic Tip had a big hole around an inch and a half on both entrance and exit.There was no doubt he has hit when he dropped to his knees on impact and traveled only about 30yds from a double lung shot.I shot another with my 300 Win Mag using a 180gr Ballistic Tip.I hit him in the onside shoulder with an exit behind the offside shoulder.He dropped on the spot,but entrance and exit holes were somewhat smaller.Internal wound channel looked similar.This gives you a look at the size of holes through the ribs from the 338-06 with the 200gr.
338-06 200bt entry.jpg
rd exit.jpg

Sectional density doesn't make up for frontal area.
You can see a physical difference in game when hit by the 33 cal in comparison to a 30 cal.
Same goes going from a 30 magnum to a 33 magnum. They just hit harder and displace more tissue.

Cheers.
Got to agree a bigger bullet not a heavier bullet makes a bigger hole just like a drill bit bigger bit makes a bigger hole