338 06 AI shooters

I didn't build an AI version yet. But the one I had I made for the sirocco 210gr and it shot them very well. Sold that set up and was going to go carbon barrel at 24" this time. Not sure if I want to AI this time

Hey sir hope all is well. So mine is going to be 1_12 twist .Rich from he tech rifles was explaining 1/12 is just fine up to 210 gr . The higher twist is only needed for higher weight bullets. And high twist means lower FPS and high pressure.
I don't know where you got this information regarding twist rate increasing pressure, it is simply untrue.
Whoever informed you that a 12" twist is adequate for a 338 is not correct. Even a 200g long VLD style bullet is going to be borderline on stable. Weight has little to do with twist requirements, it is the LENGTH of said bullet that matters.
My 338-06, not AI, runs a 24" 10" twist, my 338-416 Rigby Improved runs 9" twist, neither of which are fast…

Cheers.

I don't know where you got this information regarding twist rate increasing pressure, it is simply untrue.
Whoever informed you that a 12" twist is adequate for a 338 is not correct. Even a 200g long VLD style bullet is going to be borderline on stable. Weight has little to do with twist requirements, it is the LENGTH of said bullet that matters.
My 338-06, not AI, runs a 24" 10" twist, my 338-416 Rigby Improved runs 9" twist, neither of which are fast…

Cheers.
Agreed! I have a 1:11" in one of my .300 WM and 190 VLDs is the heaviest I can shoot/stabilize.

ADDED: Unless it is a typo, Berger is now showing 1:11" for the 210s.

Last edited:

Cheers.
Oh ok

Agreed! I have a 1:11" in one of my .300 WM and 190 VLDs is the heaviest I can shoot/stabilize.

ADDED: Unless it is a typo, Berger is now showing 1:11" for the 210s.
I have 1:13" twist .308" barrel originally designed for PALMA shooting of the stubby 155g PALMA bullet out of a 308 Winchester, it fails to stabilise 165g Ballistic Tips and certainly won't stabilise any pointy bullets heavier than those, and these are at 300WM velocities…

Cheers.

Last edited:
I almost bought one but didn't want to fireform Cases .It was an awesome rifle had dies and was a good deal .I decided to just down load 338 win mag some for less kick and lose only 150 fps .The 338 ai is a good cartridge but with powder and primers so High its expensive to fireforn any more and is getting even higher .I have that .333 okh belted mag rifle of Elmer Keith's and it only holds 67 grains of powder I make caes from 7 mm rem mag and 338 win mag .I have to get another scope mount made for it .It has extended weaver rings and no scope I own fits because of the extra length between the rings .it had a Redfield wide field 3x9 on it and I sold it wish I had not done that it fit .