338 06 AI shooters

Can't say I'm an avid 338-06 AI shooter. But I am in the process of building one right now. I would also like to hear from others on what bullets and loads they use.

I haven't decided on barrel length. I'm thinking between 22" and 24". Twist will be 9 to shoot a mono in a the 185-200 gr weight range.

Never had one…..but should be a great hunting cartridge. Finding components including brass should make it a very viable endeavor! memtb

Can't say I'm an avid 338-06 AI shooter. But I am in the process of building one right now. I would also like to hear from others on what bullets and loads they use.

I haven't decided on barrel length. I'm thinking between 22" and 24". Twist will be 9 to shoot a mono in a the 185-200 gr weight range.
Hey sir hope all is well. So mine is going to be 1_12 twist .Rich from he tech rifles was explaining 1/12 is just fine up to 210 gr . The higher twist is only needed for higher weight bullets. And high twist means lower FPS and high pressure.

Never had one…..but should be a great hunting cartridge. Finding components including brass should make it a very viable endeavor! memtb
Oh got a bunch of star line on sale. And I have bullets /powder/primers . And redding dies where on sale

Hey sir hope all is well. So mine is going to be 1_12 twist .Rich from he tech rifles was explaining 1/12 is just fine up to 210 gr . The higher twist is only needed for higher weight bullets. And high twist means lower FPS and high pressure.
I went 9 twist because of wanting to shoot an all copper bullet. Plus with a higher stability factor terminal performance will also be better. Straight line penetration with less chance of bullet veering off course.

A 213 gr hammer hunter requires a 1-10.5" twist. I think for the 338-06 I'll probably concentrate on something a bit lighter like 185-200 gr. With my 9 twist I should get those bullets really spinning.

I went 9 twist because of wanting to shoot an all copper bullet. Plus with a higher stability factor terminal performance will also be better. Straight line penetration with less chance of bullet veering off course.

A 213 gr hammer hunter requires a 1-10.5" twist. I think for the 338-06 I'll probably concentrate on something a bit lighter like 185-200 gr. With my 9 twist I should get those bullets really spinning.
Hey sir hope all is well . So I get it its all about what we like . But I am confused that faster twist gives better peneration so many articles say no . But I do understand certain bullets do need specific twist .

Hey sir hope all is well . So I get it its all about what we like . But I am confused that faster twist gives better peneration so many articles say no . But I do understand certain bullets do need specific twist .
I wouldn't say better or more penetration. But straight line penetration. Marginally stable bullets can do weird things and take off at varying degrees. Example could be a broadside shot behind the shoulder and it exits the hind quarter. Again this example is what guys are preferring with all copper bullets. A stability factor of 2 or more is best. You can't over spin an all copper bullet like you can can a cup and core bullet.

I wouldn't say better or more penetration. But straight line penetration. Marginally stable bullets can do weird things and take off at varying degrees. Example could be a broadside shot behind the shoulder and it exits the hind quarter. Again this example is what guys are preferring with all copper bullets. A stability factor of 2 or more is best. You can't over spin an all copper bullet like you can can a cup and core bullet.
Oh ok. Thanks

338 Sherman (338-06 AI, AI'd). 22" 10 twist

175 Hammer Hunters at 3207 FPS
213 Hammer Hunters at 2843 with Stabal 6.5 or 2763 with Varget.

My BIL used this rifle with the 175 Hammer and the deer didn't even twitch...