33 SHERMAN MAGNUM

elkaholic

IMG_20200818_104351782.jpg

The new 33 Sherman Magnum is here and ready to be spun up and ready for elk season. It is based on the 30 SM simply necked up. This baby promises to be a Hammer and the 28 and 30 versions have shown outstanding accuracy!
No data yet but you can be the first. I expect the 285 to reach 2800-2850' and it will likely run a 250 Berger to 3100'.
Phil Allen has the reamer and Hornady is currently cutting dies.
This will be a very strong performer on a std magnum bolt and no rebated rim.

Phil Allen
MCM Firearms
www.mcmfirearms.com
208-406-5000

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if you were figuring 26 or 28, I know the 30sm you built was 28" I thought. That 270 bulldozer will be a contender for sure, especially after it is redesigned for a higher bc

Looks like the case capacity will be around 7% less than the 338 edge. An edge with Wyatts box pretty much maxes out the Remington 700 and clones and allows an OAL close to 4". Quality 338 edge brass is available now from ADG and others as well. In order to achieve the velocities mentioned above for the 338 SM, you would most likely have to use double based powders and step on it pretty hard.

Seems more practical to me to build a RUM or edge and you would have the option of hot rodding it with the double based powders or using something like H1000 and getting better barrel life.

Looks like the case capacity will be around 7% less than the 338 edge. An edge with Wyatts box pretty much maxes out the Remington 700 and clones and allows an OAL close to 4". Quality 338 edge brass is available now from ADG and others as well. In order to achieve the velocities mentioned above for the 338 SM, you would most likely have to use double based powders and step on it pretty hard.

Seems more practical to me to build a RUM or edge and you would have the option of hot rodding it with the double based powders or using something like H1000 and getting better barrel life.
You can always get more velocity by going larger and larger but there is a point of diminishing returns in several areas!
Nothing wrong with an edge though if velocity is king counting the other costs.