33 SHERMAN MAGNUM

I like this idea way better than the RUM. The RUM's are too long, they only work well with light for caliber bullets or with custom magazines boxes and reamers. The PRC case removes the rebated rim and gives you an OAL that works well with long heavy for caliber bullets. Crazy that it only took 100 or so years for someone to copy Charles Newton.

Plenty of folks running a 338 RUM with 300 berger or SMK in factory 26 inch barrels getting upwards of 2700 fps. with H1000 or Retumbo which are easier on your barrel. I would not consider that light for caliber. The Edge with a proper throat length, magazine box, and barrel length just maximizes the potential of the Rem 700 sized actions and will get into the 2850 range. Yes, it takes a custom reamer but so does the 338 SM.

I shoot an Edge I built myself (Remage) on a Stiller action. I can't imagine what more you could do to get more out of a standard Rem700. But it is NOT plug-and-play, even with a Remage setup. You have to mill the feed opening in the bottom of the action towards the rear a decent amount and modify the bolt stop to allow those 4" shells to feed into the action and the bolt come back far enough to pick them up. And the Wyatt's box required some work to take off sharp edges and get it to feed. I did this all with a dremel which worked but was not ideal, and took many hours of careful work. I get 2970fps with 285s in a 30" barrel.

I say all this to recognize the attractiveness of the 338 SM for someone willing to sacrifice a bit of speed to get a respectable long range 338 without that level of work.

I think this thread may be being somewhat misinterpreted by some.

It's purpose is not to discuss whether or not this is a useful cartridge, if it is doing anything that another cartridge already does, if someone should or should not go with this cartridge, it's viability, or anything like that.

I believe the purpose of this thread is simply to introduce this cartridge, describe what this cartridge is, and what it's likely capabilities are. Whether or not you think a 338 edge, 338 rum, 338 lapua, 338 norma, 33 nosler, or any other similar cartridge is better, worse, good, bad or ugly really isn't the point. Like all the other "XXXXX Sherman" cartridge threads that Rich starts, this is simply a reference, and will eventually be a resource for load information and cartridge capabilities once that information starts flowing. As far as debating why one should or shouldn't go with a .338 Sherman Magnum vs any other cartridge, that is likely a subject better discussed in a separate thread. I post this only to try to keep the information more accessible and not as cluttered for those seeking data specifically on the .338 Sherman Magnum in the future. I know these threads and similar have helped me out in the past with other cartridges, and less clutter/non-relevant information is always better.

My cousin has a rem 700 long range in 7mm rem mag, he is debating rebarreling it to 300 or 338 Sherman Mag for his cross canyon elk rifle. I think this would be pretty awesome for it, better barrel life, and I just think for 600+, a heavy .338 is just hard to beat. Probably run a CIP DBM, so 3.850" mag length, this would run perfectly.

Also would love to see and hear about any add'l experience with this cartridge. Seems like it would be a great option for a guy who wants something resembling like a 338NM repeater without having to replace an action with a standard magnum boltface (i.e., me!).

338 max 285 28" tube 2724fps
He is stating estimated in a 26" 285 28-2850
A longer tube 28 or 30" I think you are 175 to 200fps faster especially if you move to N570 or RL33 which I don't believe is an option for the short mag case no matter how long your barrel is. PM Rich