308win to 284win

308win

Wanting to rebarrel my M70 Featherweight short action from 308win to 284win. Will I have any feeding issues with the 284? If so, what are the options for fixing this?

Thanks in advance

Very interested in that as a project! I know the 284 has the same head as a 308 but is a wider case. It will be a nice choice now that Peterson makes 284win brass

7-08 is in the running as is 7-08ai, but I plan on doing an 18 inch barrel and the 284win gets me another 200fps with the 140s. Not sure if the AI is worth the trouble in 7-08?

you will pick up 50 to 75 fps with the AI I did it so I would not have to mess with the brass as much and fell in love with the cartridge the extra fps is nice though There is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard 7mm-08 and on the short action it may work in your favor over the 284

Funny part is, I have the dies for standard 7-08 and a ton of 308 brass sitting there, but I have to be complicated. Brass for 284 is in stock as are the dies. My Smith tells me we can make it work, just wanted to see if anybody out there has done it and if they had any problems?

I'm "guessing" that cartridge length could present an issue in a short action. Is a 7-08 out of the running? That should be an easy conversion.
I think Winchester short actions are slightly longer than Remington etc. I know Randy from Randy's custom rifles did a video mentioning this when he was talking about length problems with the 6.5prc. I think that the problem is when you are trying to seat heavy bullets way out into the throat for long range powder capacity. I don't think that would be a problem with the 140s and at that bullet wieght you just have a lot more powder capacity than the 7mm-08/ai.

I don't have any Winchester actions so don't now about overall length. I did a 284 build on a 700 SA Wyatt extended box 2.995". Was hoping to shoot the 155 hammer. It was to long and needed to be seated way deep. Never ever tried loading them. I just ordered 100 of the absolute 140's to try in it. Hopefully they're short enough to work. I think they will be. As mentioned if you're ok using light bullets it could work. Heavier long copper bullets or say a 180 Berger will take up to much case capacity. If I had the option to do it again I'd go long action. But if these 140 AH work I may change my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.