284win help

In my X-Caliber prefit (I think SAAMI chamber, they don't say otherwise), here are the OALs to the lands.
162 ELD-X: 3.162"
168 LRX: 3.140"
168 ABLR: 3.194"
180 Hybrid: 3.238"

Because of the tapered lands, the 284 Win SAAMI chamber is especially tough to calculate 'freebore'. If you're good staying under 168, I'd say SAAMI would work for your daughters gun.
I also have a 284 win , but if I built another one I would definitely check and see if more free bore will help with not infringing on powder space , so you can get max performance out of the cartridge with the heavier and longer bullets . I also would go a little faster on that twist.Remember the 284 saami was designed for the win mod 88 lever and the win mod 100 auto that had a short oal.

Because of the tapered lands, the 284 Win SAAMI chamber is especially tough to calculate 'freebore'. If you're good staying under 168, I'd say SAAMI would work for your daughters gun.
It's no different than determining freebore for any other cartridge. He's posted the 2 reamers that he has available seems like one is going to work well for him, even if it wasn't it's no problem to use the shorter one and have the freebore cut in a second op.
I also have a 284 win , but if I built another one I would definitely check and see if more free bore will help with not infringing on powder space , so you can get max performance out of the cartridge with the heavier and longer bullets . I also would go a little faster on that twist.Remember the 284 saami was designed for the win mod 88 lever and the win mod 100 auto that had a short oal.
we've determined he can seat 160+/- bullets with the boat tail junction above the neck shoulder junction with a COAL requirement of 3.25". 9 twist is fast enough twist to shoot 180's so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine is a .235fb....Touch with the 166gr Atips is 2.500bto......If you need an OAL measurement let me know.

@Ray Gross can probably help you with everything you need to know about reamers. ;)

It's no different than determining freebore for any other cartridge. He's posted the 2 reamers that he has available seems like one is going to work well for him, even if it wasn't it's no problem to use the shorter one and have the freebore cut in a second op.

we've determined he can seat 160+/- bullets with the boat tail junction above the neck shoulder junction with a COAL requirement of 3.25". 9 twist is fast enough twist to shoot 180's so I wouldn't worry about it.
I think 1-9 is on the boarder line with a 180 gr why not go faster , unless you're shooting thin jacket target bullets . Example I have 7mm in several cartridges from 1-10 1-9 -1-9.25 and 1-.75 -1.8 the 7x57 cartridge uses a faster twist 1-.75 1-8 too stabilize the long 175 gr bullets . The faster twist 7 mm cal are my most accurate rifles . The 1-9 will work with most bullets , but a faster twist will give you more options, monos and cup and core .

I think 1-9 is on the boarder line with a 180 gr why not go faster , unless you're shooting thin jacket target bullets . Example I have 7mm in several cartridges from 1-10 1-9 -1-9.25 and 1-.75 -1.8 the 7x57 cartridge uses a faster twist 1-.75 1-8 too stabilize the long 175 gr bullets . The faster twist 7 mm cal are my most accurate rifles . The 1-9 will work with most bullets , but a faster twist will give you more options, monos and cup and core .

I appreciate all your guys's help thank you. like I mentioned earlier rifles for my daughter and I'm only going to run 150s or160s trying to keep the recoil down. I have a gun to launch heavies.

About 22 burnt out 284 barrels tells me that. I have shot a 9twist with the 180/184 combo from sea level to 7k' from over 100 degrees to in the low teens, coast to coast.

Most think once you go below 1.50SG on the stability calculator it's gonna keyhole or something. When in fact this isn't the case, not even close. Once you start getting down around 1.10ish area is when it starts to really become a problem.

I appreciate all your guys's help thank you. like I mentioned earlier rifles for my daughter and I'm only going to run 150s or160s trying to keep the recoil down. I have a gun to launch heavies.
If you want less recoil , go with tha lighter weight monos , they will perform like a heavier cup and core with more weight retention , penetration and vel , and work well in a 1-9 or faster twist rate . The 130 140 weight monos are as long as the cup and core 150 and 160 , but less recoil , especially the 120 class monos . You may or may not like monos that is a matter of preference . When I first built a 284 win I used the Hornady 120 gr hollow point and it killed well but I would not recommend it over a mono in its same weight class. The 120 grainers will reduce recoil , mono or cup and core , if that becomes a factor . Good luck , you will not be disappointed in the 284 win. Get you some good bushing dies and you will be good to go. Good luck .

About 22 burnt out 284 barrels tells me that. I have shot a 9twist with the 180/184 combo from sea level to 7k' from over 100 degrees to in the low teens, coast to coast.

Most think once you go below 1.50SG on the stability calculator it's gonna keyhole or something. When in fact this isn't the case, not even close. Once you start getting down around 1.10ish area is when it starts to really become a problem.
I never said the 1-9 won't work , the 1-8.5 just gives some leeway , with more stability with heavy bullets.

I built a 284 on a Tikka T3X this summer and went thru this exact conversation.

The Saami reamer doesn't show any fb in the normal parallel manner that more modern cartridges exhibit so I get what was mentioned above about determining its freebore.

We ended up deciding I should send in a dummy with jump to the lands and go with that.
I seated a 175 Eldx to 3.2 and a 150Badlands BD2 to 3.16" if I recall with directions to ensure the longest had. 005 jump and the both chamber.

I'm shooting the 150BD2 at 3.173" @2850fps, only 95 rounds on the barrel so far. With a g7 of .305 this thing is amazing! And I can spot hits in a lightweight rifle, which is golden.

Barrel is a Preferred Barrel prefit, 22"
1:8" twist. Long action mag and bolt stop of course

I built a 284 on a Tikka T3X this summer and went thru this exact conversation.

The Saami reamer doesn't show any fb in the normal parallel manner that more modern cartridges exhibit so I get what was mentioned above about determining its freebore.

We ended up deciding I should send in a dummy with jump to the lands and go with that.
I seated a 175 Eldx to 3.2 and a 150Badlands BD2 to 3.16" if I recall with directions to ensure the longest had. 005 jump and the both chamber.

I'm shooting the 150BD2 at 3.173" @2850fps, only 95 rounds on the barrel so far. With a g7 of .305 this thing is amazing! And I can spot hits in a lightweight rifle, which is golden.

Barrel is a Preferred Barrel prefit, 22"
1:8" twist. Long action mag and bolt stop of course

That's awesome! I too am going with a 22in barrel and a 5in can. I really need to decide on a bullet. So many options out there. It would be nice if a guy could get 10 or 12 count packs of bullets to do testing so you don't end up with a pile of part boxes on the shelf you prob not going to use.

I have been friends with the 284 win for 25 years my browning A bolt will let me seat 168 burgers to 3.260 touching the lands factory rifle mag will Not except that overall length I load them one at a time so I am sure everything will work out fine for you

Mine is a .235fb....Touch with the 166gr Atips is 2.500bto......If you need an OAL measurement let me know.

@Ray Gross can probably help you with everything you need to know about reamers. ;)

Not everything, I learn new stuff every day at work.

I think it is safe to say the we make more custom variations of the 284 Win than any other reamer.

Recent Posts