308 Winchester Varget 165 grain hpbt powder charge contradiction

Machinist

I am not new to reloading but I have not been reloading a long time. I am tring to find a target load to compare to my cast bullet load just as a curious comparison and hunting load. I settled on the sierra 165 hbpt and varget. I went down to my bench last night wanting to load some up I did a quick double check of powder weight in my manuals. The sierra manual has maximum at 43 grains I think it starts at 40 grains, while the hodgon data has minimum at 43 grains and maximum at 46. Any advice would be helpful. I have a 98 mauser that was re chambered to 7.62 x 51by israel that my father re cut the chamber to a tight neck 308 winchester I think is what its called. The gun has a lot of sentimental value ( he died recently) so I don't want to push anything hot but I do want a better hunting load than the cast bullets it normally has a steady diet of. Thank You
I think I posted this in the wrong section sorry I just signed up here.

I have found that you can load up to 46 gr. of varget some people have used more but for me 43 to 44 is the sweet spot it will push a 155 SMK at 1775 and a 168 SMK or Berger around 2675 to 2700 and gives good accuracy. My 168 load is 43.5 gr. of Varget with BR2 primers. Hope this helps

Machinist,

It's not a contradiction, and neither manual is "wrong." In fact, I'll assure you, both are perfectly correct. They're just different. The were developed in two diferent labs, by different operators, using different rifles, different lots of the "same" components, etc.. I've always tried to get across the concept that a reloading manual is nothing more than a report. You'll understand them better (and use them more safely) if you take them as a write up saying, "we tried this combination, and this was what we saw in our rifle. Your's will vary, so start low and work up." This is precisely why virtually all of them are so adamant in starting with the bottom load shown and working up carefully, as pressure signs in your rifle will allow.

You need to verify that you are indeed using a tight neck chamber before you do any reloading for the rifle. A quick trip to the gunsmith for a chamber cast will answer that question, and give you the chamber dimensions you need to know to reload for this rifle safely. Do this first, then worry about charge weights.

It is a tight neck my normal rounds are lyman 311041 21 grains of 4759 if I recall I size them to .309 the brass only expands about .003. The brass lasts forever until the primer pockets wear out. Thank you for the replies. I think I will start at 43 grains and go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts