Powder Charge Advice

bnvldz

I am new to the forum (1st post) as well as reloading for the first time. I have enjoyed the volume of information I have gotten from this site as there are tons to learn. I am seeking advice on how much powder charge increments should I go up for gaining more velocity out of my 270 WSM without loosing my group? Use half a grain, whole grain, go straight to max load or do mid point? I am using H1000 Powder, 150 Bergers bullets, CCI 250 primers and I am shooting the minimum of 61 gr of powder. At this point, I am shooting almost 2700 ft per second and would like to achieve 3000 or better. I am using the Berger recommendations of where to start which is 61 gr minimum. The max is 68 gr. According to the Berger book it states that using H1000 at the max of 68 gr I should acquire just a tad over 3000 ft per second. At this time, I am shooting 1/2 inch MOA and for a beginner I am doing better than I have ever shot. However, I am not too happy with shooting 2700 ft per second. Should I be content on shooting this velocity out of a 270 WSM while shooting 1/2 MOA or should I start going up on charge? Thanks

Ben

I like you work up to max in .3 Gr. increments. A lot of reloaders use .3 Gr. On really big cartridges most I use .5 Gr. increments.

I looked at the Berger book for your load. IMO it would be good to jump to the middle load and work up from there in .3 gr. increments. It would save you a few primers, etc. You will probably see the group open up and close again as you go up. I shoot a 300 WSM and it likes to run close to max load. A lot of WSMs do.

Be very mindful of pressure signs are you work up.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

... Be very mindful of pressure signs are (as) you work up.

There are a lot of methods for working up a load. I use .2 grain increments and stop once I've achieved my accuracy goal. Some reloaders press on further, working for greater MV. I don't. I start in the middle of the reloading manual recommended loads, work up to my accuracy goal, and stay there.
The max is 68 gr. According to the Berger book it states that using H1000 at the max of 68 gr I should acquire just a tad over 3000 ft per second. At this time
Berger's test rifle was not your rifle ... never expect your results to reflect the manuals data. That's why you start low and work up.
Good to keep in mind that, once you're experiencing "pressure signs" you passed safe limits BEFORE they occurred. Dangerous pressures generally occur before pressure signs are apparent.
Always remember that the idea is to shoot the rifle, not wear it.

A deer, elk, bear or moose will not notice a 300 fps difference in yourload.

While I'm not the one who goes to max loads. I do think you are leaving a lot on the table by staying at the minimum reccomended load.
No reason to have a magnum, if you are running at .270 Winchester velocities. I would work up in .5 grain increments until you find max, and work back from there until you find the second accuracy node.

While I'm not the one who goes to max loads. I do think you are leaving a lot on the table by staying at the minimum reccomended load.
No reason to have a magnum, if you are running at .270 Winchester velocities. I would work up in .5 grain increments until you find max, and work back from there until you find the second accuracy node.

Ditto! Safety, safety, safety ...

As stated earlier, there are many methods for working up a load. To me, case capacity is the determining factor in my load increments when working up a load. Rather than a set amount ( .2 gr, .3, gr, etc), my increments are based on the starting load. I will usually increase my load in 0.6% increments. For large case capacities such as my 7mm RM, a 0.6% increase would equate to 0.4 gr steps. In my 6.5x47, that would be 0.2 gr steps. If I know that I am starting low, then I will increase the earlier load 1.0% then cut back to 0.6% when the load is in the range that I really want to test. This does require some knowledge of expected pressures and results but I will have researched the load, run it through QuickLoad, and compared my results in QuickLoad to actual results from other sources.
No matter how you determine your increments, you ALWAYS want to work up from a safe beginning load. Sometimes we all want more speed, but I will gladly give up 100+ fps for accuracy. If I can put my round where it needs to go, the target, deer or elk won't know if the bullet left the barrel at 2800 or 2900 fps.

FWIW,

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your responses. This is exactly what I needed. I will work up till I see separation and then back off to the last best group.

A deer, elk, bear or moose will not notice a 300 fps difference in yourload.

I take accuracy over max velocity. They won't notice the velocity diff, but you still need accuracy to make a humane shot. No two rifles will perform the same with a given load. Good luck, be safe

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.