Powder Charge Question

bole141

ok so I just go into reloading, and I bought a lee classic reloader, the one that is completely manual.....not a press..........but anyway it came with a powder dipper that is measured at 2.2 cubic centimeters........the charge table it came with did not tell me what the velocity would be on a 55 grain .22-250 bullet with hodgdon varget.....which is the powder i want to use, so i went on to hodgdon's website and saw the maximum and starting charges and the corresponding velocities.......however, they did not give me a charge for the velocity i want which is around 3550 fps....... this is below max fyi how can i figure out the amount of powder i need to charge to the case if i am to attain this velocity?

ok so I just go into reloading, and I bought a lee classic reloader, the one that is completely manual.....not a press..........but anyway it came with a powder dipper that is measured at 2.2 cubic centimeters........the charge table it came with did not tell me what the velocity would be on a 55 grain .22-250 bullet with hodgdon varget.....which is the powder i want to use, so i went on to hodgdon's website and saw the maximum and starting charges and the corresponding velocities.......however, they did not give me a charge for the velocity i want which is around 3550 fps....... this is below max fyi how can i figure out the amount of powder i need to charge to the case if i am to attain this velocity?
If you want to use a dipper and forego a scale, you need to be a ways down to make sure you are safe. That's why you get a 2.2 cc measure. It should toss about 30.1 grains varget pulled through and leveled off, but could easily toss a grain or two more if somehow compressed or the powder is off a bit density wise. If your measure was at max. you could run into trouble quick if you weren't perfect. The top load for varget with a 55 in a 22-250 is 36.5 grain. I'd get a scale and start to invest in other tools starting with a trimmer, press, etc.. There is a lot of data for common calibers on the net, just make sure it isn't redneck data.
Have fun and stay safe.
lefty

those tools are fun and a great way to get your feet wet. BUT, only use the dipper that came with it and follow the instruction religously!
My advice if you want to get a set up at a good price go to www.titanreloading.com and get the lee breachblock chalanger kit $105.00 it has all you need exetp the dies the delux 3 die sets are around $33.00
I have a challanger kit that I got 15 years ago still useing it and still happy with it. A good bang for your buck pardon the pun

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.