Varget and the Sierra 165gr. HPBT

Center Shot

Guys, I am purchasing the new Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle, in 308 Winchester. I would like to reload for it. I have settled on the Sierra 165gr. HPBT Gameking, and Hodgon Varget powder, Winchester brass, and CCI BR-2 primers.

I would like a good accurate moderate powered hunting load.

Could you help me out? I was thinking 43gr. of Varget, do you believe this is to be about right?

Thanks for your response!

I shoot 43 grains of Varget with a 175 SMK's and 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a 168 SMK's, with Fed 210 M primers. They both shoot extremely well in my Rem 700 308 rilfe! My elevation is 5000 feet. I used these loads for tactical comp. (1/4" groups)

The 168 Berger VLD (Hunting) also shot well using 42.5 grains of Varget.

RL-15 with 45 grains also shoots very well with the 175 SMK's.

Work up slowly!

"I have settled on the Sierra 165gr. HPBT Gameking, and Hodgon Varget powder, Winchester brass, and CCI BR-2 primers."

Enjoy your technicool rifle. You've settled on everything but power weigth and OAL; experiment. Our guesses won't be any more predictably accurate than yours.

Thanks for responding!

I know I said that I settled on Varget as my powder, but I have been doing some more research.

The Ruger Gunsight scout rifle has only a 16 1/2 inch barrel. To get maximum velocity would another faster burning powder be a better choice for such a short barrel? Or would it not make that much difference to worry about?

I would still like a accurate load. Thanks

All else the same, the powder that obtains highest velocity in a 26" barrel will do the same in a 16" barrel. Muzzle blast would be different tho!

We would all like someone to give us an accurate load. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. If I give you mine and you copied it you would only be loading for my rifle and that's not what you will be shooting; experiment.

For max speed and accuracy with that case, primer, bullet combo I think 47.5grns RE15 with a 2.825" oal but work up to it. With varget or 4064 at 2.825 max will be around 46grns.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.