.308/W Die selection limited budget & powder selection

DartonJager

Couple of years ago I stumbled on a NIB savage 308 10FCP with a 5R barrel at a price so good I had to double check it had a barrel, it did so of course I bought it.

Would finally like to start reloading for and shooting it but would like to keep my cost for dies at a reasonable level. I plan on using the rifle as a platform to teach myself medium long range shooting to save wear on my actual hunting rifles which are all magnums.

Need a recommendation on dies to confirm what I am already thinking. Was considering getting a Forster bench rest bullet seating die, Forster FL sizing die and a Redding body only sizing die, same as I have for my other rifles. Am I choosing my dies wisely or should I consider other more economical options?

Lastly I have more than enough different 165-180 grain .308 bullets from Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady and Federal LRG GMM primers. Of my suitable on hand powders which would be best to begin with I have:
H4350
H4831
H4198
H335
IMR4350
IMR4831
IMR4895
IMR3031
RL15
RL10x
RL7

Or as popular wisdom suggests ditch all the above powders and go with IMR4064 or Varget, neither of which I have on hand at the moment but can easily get OTC near my home.

Thanks,
Art/DJager

Last edited:
I use IMR4895 and H4895. About 44.4 grains for 168 grain amax bullets seated at 2.800 inches for COAL. It generally yields right at 2700fps. This is with BR2 primers. With the 210 match primers I'm at 2715fps. 26 inch barrel 308.

The powders I use in mine aren't on your list. 4895 or RL 15 would be good places to start. You may also try out the 3031 and the 335 powders as well.

High quality dies are like high quality glass. Never regret buying it.
I'd suggest the Forster bump/neck bushing die and the ultramicrometer seating die. They produce very concentric/accurate ammo.

The lee collet die is a very good buy and easy to start loading with.

I load my 308 win with 180 gr Accubond with IMR 4895, they shoot great. This is my Texas Whitetail / African Plains Game gun and I load it with Lee Dies and Lee Factory Crimp.. It shoots sub MOA and I would have no problem shooting it out to 500 yards on a Whitetail or similar sized plains game, however I have never had to since most whitetail hunts and plains game are under 200 yards, hell usually 50 to 100 yards. Now my big boy 300 win mag, that is soon to be replaced with the 338LM I ordered 2 weeks ago for long range Elk and Stag hunting is a different story. I have had to take 600 yard shots on Elk across valleys and the reason I have decided to upgrade to 338LM this last year I had a nice Elk I could have taken at 980 yards, however I am not convertible at that range with the rifle, and I know Elk have been killed with a 300 win mag at 1000 yards +. I would just feel better with more energy and well practice on my end.. So didn't take the shot and went home empty handed.. That being said I reload those with Redding FL S dies, just because if I am going to stretch it out there I want no doubt.. Really just what your going to do with it.. Try the Lee dies and if your not happy your out $33.00 but you will still have the factory crimp die that you will want anyways.. So really only out like $20.00..

Couple of years ago I stumbled on a NIB savage 308 10FCP with a 5R barrel at a price so good I had to double check it had a barrel, it did so of course I bought it.

Would finally like to start reloading for and shooting it but would like to keep my cost for dies at a reasonable level. I plan on using the rifle as a platform to teach myself medium long range shooting to save wear on my actual hunting rifles which are all magnums.

Need a recommendation on dies to confirm what I am already thinking. Was considering getting a Forster bench rest bullet seating die, Forster FL sizing die and a Redding body only sizing die, same as I have for my other rifles. Am I choosing my dies wisely or should I consider other more economical options?

Lastly I have more than enough different 165-180 grain .308 bullets from Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady and Federal LRG GMM primers. Of my suitable on hand powders which would be best to begin with I have:
H4350
H4831
H4198
H335
IMR4350
IMR4831
IMR4895
IMR3031
RL15
RL10x
RL7

Or as popular wisdom suggests ditch all the above powders and go with IMR4064 or Varget, neither of which I have on hand at the moment but can easily get OTC near my home.

Thanks,
Art/DJager
I like the Redding premium or master hunter dies but you will not go wrong with the Forster either. If you want the best in my opinion though get Whidden dies. I use varget in my Sako 308 and shoot Berger 168 hunting VLD's and you would not believe the accuracy I am getting from a factory rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.