308 or 6.5CM

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.
Either would do the job but because you want a lighter rifle I would lean towards the 6.5 Creedmoor just because of reduced recoil (140gr-ish max with CM vs 175-180grish max with 308). Less recoil equals more accurate shots which means more dead piggies.

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.
Ruger makes a killer precision rifle. Looks are non-traditional if that's what you are looking for. You can find them reasonably priced as well. It is not light.

Since I used to dairy farm in my younger days, here's some advise I was given about how much silo storage to buy...

Figure how much storage you think you'll need today (+/- 300 yard shooting) and then add 50% (when longer shots are needed) incase a bumper crop needs storing or more cows are added on.

Bottom line...within 500 yards, both the 308/6.5CM will work, the edge given to the 6.5CM due to its more speed, as speed kills over bulk, as I've read.

Shots over 500 yards...the 6.5CM will shine, with its speed/accuracy advantage.

I'd built a rifle with the maximum range in mind, as it will handle any shorter ranges as well.

IMO, a 6.5CM covers all the shooting ranges you mentioned and then some.

Also it depends on what kind of pigs you have where you are. Different locales can have a different type of pig. Some are more heavily armored than are others. On a pig hunt once in Georgia, about 30 miles Northwest of Savannah, a hunter in a tree stand with a Ruger Mini-14 in .223 emptied a 20rd magazine into a big boar at less than 50 yards. Where many of the rounds hit it should have put the pig down. He had to finish it with a .44mag pistol. The guide said "we got tougher pigs here in the flatlands, further west in the hills, they aren't so tough. If you are staying at 300yds or less I'd opt for the .308. The 6.5cm gives you lots more range due to the better BC of the available bullet choices.

I have both calibers, and my 6.5 Cr really impresses me with its ballistics. It is now my go to deer rifle. Have you checked the Sig Sauer Cross? I shot a friend's Cross 6.5 recently and wow. Outstanding short barrel accuracy and a great folding chassis. That will be my next rifle :) Checkhttps://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

Under 300m I prefer 308. The two 6.5 CM'S I have are not as accurate as my 308's either. At the moment I am hunting with a 6.5CM but must say the 308 drops deer better. If they run, they run less far after 308. At least with the 6.5 we got great dog tracking training done. Mostly 143 ELDX used. In 308 I use 168 A-Max.
edi

As a former .308 owner, current 6.5 owner. 6.5 hands down. I re-chambered my .308 to a 6.5, and have absolutely no complaints. Ammo is easy to find if you don't reload, comparable in price to the .308, And ballistics are way better.

As to your questions about killing animals under 300 yards, I've killed bear, and multiple deer out to 500, one shot kills. The jornada 143 eld-x are animal stoppers in my opinion.

Under 300m I prefer 308. The two 6.5 CM'S I have are not as accurate as my 308's either. At the moment I am hunting with a 6.5CM but must say the 308 drops deer better. If they run, they run less far after 308. At least with the 6.5 we got great dog tracking training done. Mostly 143 ELDX used. In 308 I use 168 A-Max.
edi
Absolutely LOVE that bullet!

This thread keeps popping up and I keep wanting to chime in so here it is...

Either choice in a bolt rifle. I have both.

When I was making the caliber call for a pig gun I went 308 in a custom gas gun. Don't like it. I love it. Don't use it for hunting anymore. Like many guns that I end up loving too much to take to the field I retired it. I know crazy huh.

In my opinion the best pig gun is found in a gas gun, they are just faster to get back on the game in a target rich environment like a sounder of hogs.

The 308 has been replaced by a 6.8 SPC in a Aero Precision with a 20 inch ARP barrel and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It has now become my general purpose rifle.

Relatively light, but still has low recoil. Faster back in action, especially with a good brake. In caliber it falls between the 6.5 and 308, essentially a 270 shorty-short. I hear with solids it works wonders on hogs. The best I hear are Cavity Backs and the next time I'm in pig country I hope to find out for myself.

I'm also looking at the 270 MSR. Think of it as the 270 short. I'm not sure if it is worth it, but I'm going to find out. Then there is the 30 Herret they say in a light weight AR it is the hammer on Hogs. I will find out someday maybe.

Like you what I'm looking for is a effective cartridge and rifle on hogs under 300, but I require very fast follow up. It is just a huge adrenaline pump. I love adrenaline.

For under 300 yards, I wouldn't spend money on a custom rifle. I've got a Diamondback AR10 lower with both a 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 uppers. Best of both in one platform. Haven't shot the 308 yet but the 6.5 CM shoots sub-minute accuracy.

Just because this thread popped back up in my notifications.

Largest hog we've harvested was with a .223. She put it square in the boiler room and he dropped right there but she put another one in his knoggen because he was kicking and it was her first.
View attachment 217865

.308 stacking bodies.
View attachment 217866
View attachment 217867
That would be fun to hunt several hogs, to fill freezer, I killed one in CA and one in TN, dam good meat! Wish we had them up here, I know every one will say no you don't, but yes I do.
Where you at?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.