308 neck sizing

I'm jealous I have to use a separate die to get that flare. It won't hurt a thing it helps with match bullets makes seating easier. Get a lee factory crimp die and u will be in business

Any thoughts on whether this was left un-sized would it help centering the cartridge in the chamber?:rolleyes:

Below is a Lyman type "M" expander and normally the case mouth flare would be crimped to streamline the case mouth for feeding. This can vary from a slight taper crimp to a more pronounced roll crimp. So no you do not want to leave the case mouth flared and effect the bullet in the throat.

udv9J6k.jpg

RDNXFbN.png

Good info to know. Thank you.
Can the 2019 Lee Collet die be adjusted so you do not get the flare on the case neck???
My 308 collect die is probably 10yrs old or older. After colleting, and bumping the shoulder back.
The case goes straight to the Neco and the neck is checked for run out. Has anyone check the concentricity
of the neck after colleting the neck with the new 2019 lee collect die???
And what was the results, good or bad???
I'm probably really over thinking this one big time. It's bad to be old and OCD.

Good info to know. Thank you.
Can the 2019 Lee Collet die be adjusted so you do not get the flare on the case neck???
My 308 collect die is probably 10yrs old or older. After colleting, and bumping the shoulder back.
The case goes straight to the Neco and the neck is checked for run out. Has anyone check the concentricity
of the neck after colleting the neck with the new 2019 lee collect die???
And what was the results, good or bad???
I'm probably really over thinking this one big time. It's bad to be old and OCD.

I just went and checked five pieces of 6 creed that were shoulder bumped with a redding body die and necked with a lee die. Run out on the neck is .000 to a touch over .001. Similar to what I get with the old style die.

If you wanted the flare to go bye bye you could slip a washer over the case to sit on top of the shell holder. This will close the collet sooner and in effect moves the sized section further up the case neck. We used to use this technique 15 odd years ago with the 30 carbine crimp die on 300 whisper. That was back before the aac went mainstream and dies grow on trees now.

Very interesting. I learned somethin today. Thanks.

Tpo the OP, the flare won't hurt a thing and should make seating non-Boattail bullets much easier. I can't see how the flare could cause any chambering issues.

I just went and checked five pieces of 6 creed that were shoulder bumped with a redding body die and necked with a lee die. Run out on the neck is .000 to a touch over .001. Similar to what I get with the old style die.

If you wanted the flare to go bye bye you could slip a washer over the case to sit on top of the shell holder. This will close the collet sooner and in effect moves the sized section further up the case neck. We used to use this technique 15 odd years ago with the 30 carbine crimp die on 300 whisper. That was back before the aac went mainstream and dies grow on trees now.
Thank You, I would have to call lee and have a custom Mandrel made at that rate. It's not problem for me, my Old one still works great, and all I use 308 for this day and time is hunting.
As long as the concentricity is around 0.0005, on the case neck, with the new 2019 collet die,, I believe your golden.
BUT, I would still Like to make the decision on what mandrel came with my collect die. Flair or no flair.
Thank You For checking that out for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.