308 Load info

I am planing on using the 168s if they shoot but figured i would try the 150 just to see how they do, Also thought about trying the 155 but nobody carries them locally so I dont want to mess with not being able to find them or have to order them
I have several leupold scopes and love them this will be my first Mark 4 but Im getting a smoking hot deal(half price:)) so Im giving it a go
retiredcpo

I'm pretty sure I can out shoot my Mosin m44.
If you really can do that, you'll be the only person I've heard of who can.

But the only way you'll be able to prove it is to clamp your Mosin M44 in a machine rest such that it's shot with exactly the same grip and recoil resisting forces and angles for each shot. I don't know of anyone who does that.

Even benchresters know that the more they touch their rifles that shoot most accurate in free recoil, the larger their groups are. I've know several high power competitors (all record setters) who test their rifles and ammo from machine rests producing sub quarter MOA under 200 yards, third MOA at 300 and half MOA at 600. But they never shoot them that accurate off their shoulder hanging on to them with their hands.

I am planing on using the 168s if they shoot but figured i would try the 150 .......
If any of them in those weights are the right diameter for your barrel (a few ten-thouandths larger than groove diameter) they'll all probably shoot very accurate with the right stuff pushing 'em out the barrel.

Bart thats why im trying them both
also trying 4 differant powders with each
so hopefully Ill find a good combo

I have read thru this thread and noticed that noone has mentioned IMR 4064 powder. Is there a major dislike for this powder or what ?

I have read thru this thread and noticed that noone has mentioned IMR 4064 powder. Is there a major dislike for this powder or what ?
Well, I overlookd that.

IMR4064 was probably the most used powder in the .308 Win. for bullets from 168 through 190 grains when that round was "the" one to use in high power competion. Won more matches and set more records than all other powders combined as far as I know.

That aside, lighter bullets typically fare better accuracy wise with faster powders. I was one of a handful of high master classified high power shooters developing a load for Sierra's then new 155-gr. Palma bullet in 1991. 20-shot test groups were the norm at 1000 yards. We tried all sorts of powders a bit faster than IMR4064 but settled on 45.3 grains of IMR4895. Randomly picking 20 rounds loaded on two Dillon 1050 progressives with new cases and metered (not weighed) powder charges put 20 of 'em inside 2.8 inches at 600 yards. In the first match that bullet was used in, some folks had loaded IMR4064; none of them did very well.

Later, Varget came out and it is a bit better and the powder of choice for most folks winning Palma matches at 800 through 1000 yards these days.

One thing about load development, I suggest shooting at least 15 shots per test group and calculate mean radius from group center. 5-shots extreme spread measurements give only a 50% or less probability of representing how all rounds fired with that load will perform. 15-shot groups' mean radius raises that probability up to 80% or more. Check out this web site:

http://fuzzylimey.net/coachtalk/groupanal.html

bought it and worked a load for my savage model 11/111 hunter with several different bullet weights and all were sub moa out to four hundred so I figured there was no need to change.

Went out to the range for a few hours today
Tired 45.5gr BLC2 44.5Gr Varget 42.5Gr H4895 43.0gr RL15 all shot 1 in or better but nothing consistant yet but its the first day of breaking the gun in things should pull together
retiredcpo

Anyone ever try ramshot tac, norma 201 or 202 my software says they should work good but I have never heard of anyone using them
retiredcpo

CPO have used Tac at 41.5 CCI standard large rifle, 165gr sst and 168gr Amax in Mil spec cases.
Best groups have been 44.5 Varget 210M and Lapua brass 168gr SMK bullet....

out of what i tried the blc2 and rl15 performed the best with varget only slightly worse
I used Win large rifle primers I was going to try the three again with the same load
also change to Mag primers and a third lot with 0.5 gr hotter.
As I get more rounds through the barrel things should pull together I would think
retiredcpo

out of what i tried the blc2 and rl15 performed the best....
While some folks like BLC2 powder with the .308, I'll share some interesting data.

In developing the match load for Sierra's 155-gr. Palma bullet, we used 170-grain Federal and Winchester cases, Fed. 210M primers and all sorts of powders. BLC2 and W748 plus one or two other ball powders also got tried. Half a dozen rifles were used.

Samples of most loads tested were pressure and velocity tested by a lab. BLC2 loads had the smallest spread in three areas; charge weight, muzzle velocity and peak pressure. It also was the least accurate of all powders tried. Go figure.

The above aside, I applaud folks who get good accuracy with any ball powder.

Here is a group @ 100 yards from my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 with factory loaded Hornady 168 grain Amax Match.

Attachments

• .308 group.jpg
    .308 group.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.