308 kicked @$$

I don't care what caliber centerfire pistol (rifle cartridge for hunting) you're a fool if you're NOT wearing heading protection. Muzzle brake or not, it WILL damage your hearing. I don't care if it's a .223 or 45-70 it's too loud. The .308 can easily be downloaded for recoil, and put a brake on for recoil. As for saying you won't be able to hear the deer. You don't have to wear them the whole time you're hunting, it's simple enough to wear a set of plugs around your neck, or a set of muffs on your head then slide em down. I CAN speak from experience so I'm not guessing here. I've got a .243, 7-08 and a .308 handgun. They're all equally loud.

I have a 6.5 Grendel pistol and it will kill a deer easily within 200 yards or less with a pistol barrel, if you do your part on shot placement (just like any other caliber). If you have an Encore, then a .243 barrel would be the way to go and those barrels should not be that hard to find. However, I have heard some folks talk about having issues locating .243 ammo last deer season (November) but it seems to be loosening up a little.

What range are you hunting? Pick up a 300 blackout barrel for it and call it good, unless you have a bunch of different barrels for it I have found the cva scout v2 to be very accurate and are cheaper than a replacement barrel. I ended up selling my encore and getting a 16" scout takedown in blackout and I love it.

Well I put a brace on the 308 barrel, it still kicks like a mother. As for a muzzle break, I can't afford to lose any more of my hearing (according to wife) so I'm looking for a trade in 7-08 or 243. Thank you'll
Have you considered a new butt pad? I have used limbsavers and they have dramatically reduced the felt recoil. For the $$ it's well worth it.

There are several powders that allow you to load very light recoil 308. 125 ballistic tips hammer deer at reduced kids load level. The 130 Barnes is another if you want 100% pass through shots. If you decide to go after bigger game you can use full power loads for that. If you go smaller it might limit what you can hunt. Or just have 2 barrels. Find a cheap used barrel and have a smith cut and crown it to the length you want. The most fun I ever had with a pistol was a 45-70 encore with the factory brake on it. Was knocking down steel rams at 500 yards with ease. Not much recoil either. If your hearing is going you should be using ear protection for everything. Especially pistols. Even a 22 lr pistol is damaging your ears more than you think. Is it worth going deaf over? I lost most of my hearing in the military and it sucks being deaf or mostly deaf. My .02 cents on the subject. Spend it wisely.
shep