.308 Best Rounds

Just a reminder but he's looking for factory loads........

For his work, I'd suggest good old fashion 150 Grain Federal Blue Box (the Federal Fusion would be good as well)

No need for some fancy smancy bullet.........:)

Buy a box, if they shoot well, then order a case and be done for a while

This may not be exactly what you looking for but I bought Winchester 168 grain match ammo for 230.00 bucks a case 200 rounds from kings firearms on gun broker the add said they had several lots at this price they are out of Columbia Tennessee

Nosler ballistic tips and Hornady SST from 125g-180g have never let a deer get away from me in a 30/06. Neither have Rem corelocks or Win soft points for that matter. Deer don't require anything more robust. In fact I prefer lighter construction bullets when hunting deer because I've noticed they die quicker and don't run as far. I've shot many deer with accubonds and they all seem to run at least 60-100 yards. I prefer they fall on the spot they were standing myself. One of the quickest kills I had was a deer I shot with a 64g soft point launched out of a .223WSSM. deer took about 3 steps and it's lungs turned to jelly. I hate tracking deer.

Just a reminder but he's looking for factory loads........

For his work, I'd suggest good old fashion 150 Grain Federal Blue Box (the Federal Fusion would be good as well)

No need for some fancy smancy bullet.........:)

Buy a box, if they shoot well, then order a case and be done for a while
For many years used 150 gr factory round of various manufacturers. Remington, federal, hornady. All worked fine. Last type i used were hornady American whitetail, were accurate in my rifle and worked well on deer. A southern whitetail is not as big as a moose or elk! Regular bullets work great

I have shot around 7 or 8 whitetails with them the past 4 years ranging from 20 yards to 260 yards, and everyone of them have been pass throughs and none went further than 40 yards. If they dont drop on the spot they leave a pretty massive blood trail.

Ballistic Tips got a bad reputation years ago because they would tend to explode a bit. Over the past 10-15 years Nosler has been using a thicker jacket on them and they hold up really well. For whitetails I personally prefer them to accubonds.
I always use Sierra BTHP and different Gr weight Bullet depending on what I want to hunt, 1 shot instant kills Every time, I've used these since 1980, in both 22-250 and 308 super accurate at 1000 yds and awesome killing power.

Im surprised that Ive gone thru 4 pages of posts and havent seen one mentioning Bergers. I have loaded some 308 Win 168 gr Classic Hunters and Im waiting to see what kind of damage they do to the local hog population. Getting just over 2500 fps out of my AR 10 Wilson Combat. Has anybody used these and how were the results? Ive shot some 168 gr Ballistic tips and they worked just fine in that rifle and in my 300 Win Mag.

I have a Tikka T3 in 308. It really likes the factory loaded Berger ammunition with the 168 classic hunter. It'll shoot .75 moa all day and I'm pretty sure it'd do better than that except I run a 1-6 razor on it and 6x is a lot lower than I'm used to. It's never had a problem dropping a whitetail. I'm very pleased with that ammunition.

I have had excellent results with the speer 125gr TNT. I'm picky about my shots and hunt for meat not trophys though. I load it in the 308 over 52gr of WIN748, leaves a 22" barrel at 3300fps. I have taken deer from 200-600yds with it. Surprising amount of bang flops.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.