.300wm bullet .730 bc

I'm trying to understand exactly what that means.

Do all [legal] bullets over there need to be wearing full metal jackets?

For hunting, we're allowed to use all kind of bullets which are expressly designed for the purpose of hunting, that includes VLD hunting bullets! Bullets specially designed for competition, training like A -max, Matchking, etc. are not! Concerning hunting bullets, we have almost the same opportunities like the Americans plus a big and good European offer in various kind of bullet types and manufacturers.

thats great;)
I was told when i took this years test, that if i showed up with something like a VLD i would be allowed to take the test;-)

considering all the new high bc .30 cal hunting bullets, is .300WM or RUM now just as good alternative for long range hunting as the 7mm rem mag?

Moose, sheep and bear

considering all the new high bc .30 cal hunting bullets, is .300WM or RUM now just as good alternative for long range hunting as the 7mm rem mag?

Moose, sheep and bear

The 7 RM was never a "better" long range hunting rifle than the 300 WM and especially not the 300 RUM. There is no comparison between the 7 RM and the 300 RUM. I have shot both. 70 gr of powder vs 100 gr of powder? 180 gr bullet @ 2900 fps vs 230 gr bullet (with higher BC) @ 3100 fps?

The 7 RM was never a "better" long range hunting rifle than the 300 WM and especially not the 300 RUM. There is no comparison between the 7 RM and the 300 RUM. I have shot both. 70 gr of powder vs 100 gr of powder? 180 gr bullet @ 2900 fps vs 230 gr bullet (with higher BC) @ 3100 fps?

+! Absolutely correct, and as I recommended you before, take a close look at the 8x68S. An excellent long range cartridge with more than sufficient knock-down power for both big and dangerous game. BTW, this hammer is easy to reload since it's beltless. If that's not enough power for your taste (I doubt it) go for the 300- or even better 338RUM. gun)

The case design ist very nice indeed, the caliber itself obsolete though, or are there any new match grade 8mm bullets applicable to long range shooting different than the 240gr SMK?
A .30x68 would be really nice, though I fear it wouldn't be worth the effort since it is too similar to a vanilla .300 WinMag performance wise.

Obsolete? :rolleyes: Because some kind of special designed LR- bullets are missing yet?! Quite a strong statement. For me the performance of both the 8x68S and 8 mm RM is more than sufficient for hunting and shooting up to 1000yards. BTW, even if I could I wouldn't hunt further out than 300m +, but that's only my personal taste and opinion.
The 8x68S is parent case for many other good and interesting rounds and currently for the 375 Hoelderlin. Not bad!

No intention to offend anyone, sry if I did.
For short- and mid-range hunting the 8x68 is nice, but everything a 8x68 can do a .30cal magnum can do just as good. There's plenty of support componentwise for .30 cal 500m+ hunting, not so much for the 8mm. I prefer to rely on a bigger foundation of suppliers when building a gun or loading for one. 8mm is too exotic for my taste.
Just my 2cents.

T
A .30x68 would be really nice, though I fear it wouldn't be worth the effort since it is too similar to a vanilla .300 WinMag performance wise.

If I was looking for that kind of performance I would pick the 68S case just because it has no belt. That said, the 68S can be improved a great deal to the point it is very close to the 300 Dakota or STW.

Another good point is good Norma brass is available at a reasonable price.

8x68S | Rifle Brass | Brass | Reloading Supplies

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.