300RUM 230 Berger ladder test

gaps;903047 88.2 no go. failed primer said:
WOW !

That is strange !! I have never experienced a 215 not working, I have gone through 12 k and not one failed to ignite powder !!

I also have purchased fired then primed cases ( 300 Win Mag & 215's at gunshow in 1989) 100 cases and all worked as expected ..

Must be some sort of contamination to render the primers inoperable !

The only time I had a 215 not ignite powder was due to using Hornady's spay lube for FL sizing. I used a small amount and it was not enough, then sprayed more and to further lube the case. Loaded up 5 for testing and 1 did not go off. Long story short no more One Shot for me. Maybe the last guy used it.

I'm not sure why some of the primers are failing to ignite. After my rifle was built I couldn't find any new brass in the stores so I bought 100 pieces of brass from another member on this sight. According to him they were unfired remington brass that were already primed with fed 215m. My first assumption was that there were some bad primers in the bunch....or they weren't what he said they were....

Here is an update shooting the final load at some distance.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kAknB_mZ0s]300 RUM, .260 Remington, 6.5x284 Going Long! - YouTube[/ame]

Gaps,

You really need to get to the bottom of the ignition problem. Plus it will shoot better once fixed.

Mechanical.... what ptg pin is it? Is it to light? How much pin fall? Spring weight?

Loading.... are you seating primers to shallow? Deep/crushing?

Tom

Took my rifle to Phoenix Custom Rifles and they checked out the bolt and the firing pin assembly. Everything checked out fine and they cleaned and re-lubed the bold. However, I just went out a few days ago to shoot long range and the first round that I put in there did not fire, go figure. A crater on the primer but no ignition. I ejected the round, inspected it, dry fired a few times, and then tried to shoot the same round, still a no go. This was a hand load with twice fired remington brass, federal 215, 89.4gr retumbo, 3.899 coal. Every other round I tried the rest of they day was perfect though....

So, what should I do? Any advice is welcome. I just want to be able to trust that it will fire every time, especially being a hunting rifle.

Anyway, besides that, this rifle is stupid accurate. Here are some pics to show proof. I still don't believe how accurate Phoenix Custom Rifles built this rifle. 300 RUM pushing 230gr Match Berger Hybrids @3,048fps!!! The steel at 1,000 is 20"x20"

3 shots at 100 yards=.322"!!!

3 shots at 1,000 yards= 1.75" at most!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3972.jpg
    IMG_3972.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3970.jpg
    IMG_3970.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 90
Great shooting!!!! If your trusted smith checked bolt and fireing pin out and gave it ok, seems you either got bad batch of primers or they were exposed to moisture either dampness in storage or handling them. Also watch excessive lube when sizing or on your hands when priming cases. I've had few 215's which seemed harder than others, but you said there was decent strike from pin in Primer.

I have been shooting the 230s since they came out I started around 87 grains of rotumbo and finished with 91.7 and they are pushing out at 2976 and all bullets are touching and looks like a pyramid, but now I'm going to try the new nosler 190s

What are your gun specs? I ask cause I am on the beginning stages of ladder testing a new sendero in 300 RUM and was looking for some possible comparisons.
I have been shooting the 230s since they came out I started around 87 grains of rotumbo and finished with 91.7 and they are pushing out at 2976 and all bullets are touching and looks like a pyramid, but now I'm going to try the new nosler 190s

So I was able to get out today and try some refined loads. I have a load that printed .697 for 3 shots at 200yrds minus the one I pulled. With the pulled load its 4 shots at 1.7 inchs. I also was able to use someone's magneto speed chronograph well I think that's what they are called; for the last two loads. They were 2972 and 2960. Also the one that was pulled was the first one that I shot with the chrono attached with my brake off. I'll say I have really gotten used to shooting this thing with the brake. Its like night and day. So that first shot with out the brake was a little surprise along with the red mark on my face. The next shot I held really tight on the rifle and printed the 4th shot right back in the group. I think I could of probably put all 4 in the same group if I would have left the brake on. But this will give me some ideal of what velocity I'm at with the 230 bergers. So the load is.....
300rum
89.4 grains retumbo
3.093 OAL measured with the hornady gauge.
215 federal match primers
230grn berger OTM's
2966 (2 shots avg) on the mag speed
26inch rem sendero

Attachments

• 100_4915.jpg
    100_4915.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_4916.jpg
    100_4916.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 73
Nice groups! But if you are going to measure from the outside to outside of the bullet holes (instead of center of the hole to center of the furthest hole) you need to subtract .308 from your measurement. This final number is your true group size and would be the same if you measured center to center. Hope this helps and makes sense....someone correct me if I am wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts