300RUM 230 Berger ladder test

Question, as I haven't ever done this with only one round per powder charge.

How many shots do you shoot in a string before letting barrel cool? or do you let it cool between each shot?

Maybe OP, Broz or somebody could fill me in...

Thanks

Here is one of the places where I read about the ladder test, there are threads on this site about it too.....

Hand Loading for Long Range 4: Powderin' it

I waited at least 90 seconds between rounds and with it being 50degrees outside the barrel was barely warm to the touch....

Never ever no got a 215 to not ignite, double check everything mechanical first. Then move on with 8ish. Were you seeing pressure, or just listing max as per the data book? Once you hit pressure you can almost bet it will shoot at 2-3% under.

Tom

I couldn't find new brass anywhere so I bought 100 pieces of brass from a member on here. He says it was new unfired and he primed them all with fed 215m. I was going to fl size them but they were already primed and so I chamfered and deburred and then sorted to length, loaded and shot them. I'll post a pic of the primers from shots 7,8,9,10,10 "blem",11, and 12. Ill also post a pic of number 3 that was a no go...

Thank you for the link. That is the information I have been asking for for a year! I didn't realize what I was doing in 3 shot groups, but this is exactly what I needed to refine my process. I look forward to your updates.

Matt

Thank you for the link. That is the information I have been asking for for a year! I didn't realize what I was doing in 3 shot groups, but this is exactly what I needed to refine my process. I look forward to your updates.

Matt

It's a five part series. Seems like he know what he is talking about. And of course there are different schools of thought, but it looks like it may work. Glad you enjoyed it! I know I learned a lot being a beginner.

I wonder what your ladder test would like if you shot it again?

I might shoot it again starting from shots 5-12 or 13.....but I think there is something there right around shot 8, the book max. I never felt pressure on bolt lift so I may make a 13 or 14 in .3

And pretty sure I will do a ladder with h-1000.

Looks like this rifle may be a shooter, but I don't even have 100 down the tube...

I found when switching to Rem brass from Nosler I have to uniform the necks to get best results. I switched to Rem because I thought Nosler was a bit soft for my loading the 300RUM. 27" tube...89.5 Retumbo...230 HyBred...2975fps...In western Pa.

I might shoot it again starting from shots 5-12 or 13.....but I think there is something there right around shot 8, the book max. I never felt pressure on bolt lift so I may make a 13 or 14 in .3

And pretty sure I will do a ladder with h-1000.

Looks like this rifle may be a shooter, but I don't even have 100 down the tube...

Don't mind me, I just like to stir the pot a little :) But... I sometimes wonder if a random grouping like you got for 7 8 9 is just coincidence? One way to find out is to shoot it again starting at maybe 6. If 7 8 and 9 group again, I would say you probably have something.

My load development technique is to find the working max in my rifle based on pressure signs and start grouping there. If accuracy is acceptable, that's what I use. I might play with seating depth before trying a lighter load.

That said, those are light loads in the 300 RUM. I shot the 210 VLD's with 93 gr of Retumbo as a max load. Are you chrony'ing these loads? I'm guessing you are getting less than 2800 fps with 87 gr of Retumbo.

Also, I like to have at LEAST 90% case capacity for my go to loads, especially hunting loads. 100 gr of Retumbo is about 100% of usable case capacity in the 300 RUM depending on how deep you seat your bullet. 87 gr is going to be about 87%. Take a sized case and dump 100 gr in it and see how much it fills it. It should come up just under the shoulder neck junction. H1000 is faster than Retumbo and you will get less filled capacity. Those powders are best with lighter bullets.

I've been working up a load with RL33 and the 230 Hybrids. My working max (by pressure signs in my rifle) is 102 gr. With 103 gr I got a very light stiff bolt. 102 of 33 is about 98-99% capacity with a COAL of 3.92 33 is denser than Retumbo. A few guys have been having very good results with 33 and the 230's. Best results are with the bullets close to the lands, maybe .010

I have found a lot of published data for the 300 RUM to be on the conservative side, especially Berger data. Take that for what it's worth.

Being more specific I am planning to load rounds for another ladder test with the following loads: 86.7, 87, 87.3, 87.6, 88, 88.3, 88.6, 88.9, 89.2, 89.5. I may charge even a few more just to see where pressure shows up, just so I know. And who knows, maybe there is some accuracy loaded hot too....the OP on another forum stated his factory 300 win mag liked shooting 3gr over book max...its worth a look...

My load with the Berger 210s is 92gr retumbo, 3.6 coal, running @ 3000. It was the best grouping load I got at 200 yards before my hunt and didn't have time to push it to the max. I have shot this load out to 1,124 yards on some rocks and it seems very consistent with accuracy. However, the 230s seem less sensitive and to this point, easier to find some accuracy with.

No chrono here because I don't have one. I have a buddy that has one but i may just validate with groups at distance on steel.

Thanks for the input. I won't mess is Rl33 until I am out of retumbo and h1000 but it is good to know there is another powder that may work well.

Not to hijack your thread but MontanaRifleman how do you like the Nitride treatment?? Does it affect accuracy? can you do the entire barreled action? Would you do it again on a 300 rum?? thanks

Not to hijack your thread but MontanaRifleman how do you like the Nitride treatment?? Does it affect accuracy? can you do the entire barreled action? Would you do it again on a 300 rum?? thanks

So far I like it very much. I am still in the process of load development and fleshing it out so a bit early to answer your questions. I plan to do a review thread once I have had a chance to shoot and clean my rifles for a while to get a good feel for it.

I will say, that initially it seems to clean a little easier and giving good velocity. Velocity gains seem to be in the 1-2% ballpark (30-60 fps) but that is hard to gauge since I did not have a baseline with my barrels. This is just going off expected results and past experience and reports.

I should mention that my current 300 RUM has a nitirded barrel which allows for more powder than non-nitrided barrels before max'ing out. Other max working loads for RL33 and the 230's have been about 100 gr give or take.
I'll mention too that the 230 berger seems to eat more powder to get to cruising speed than some of the other 220-230 grain offerings. I'm netting 3,000 fps in my bdllh 300rum with 95 rl33 and the 225 hdy hpbt. I am NOT at max working load but 3,000 fps is a nice round # and I'm already up to speed so why push?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts