300prc vs 300rcm

NuttyLemur

They are based off the same parent cartridge and seems like they are built for similar purposes. Anyone have experience with both? RCM seems like it never caught on. Probably no advantages on any of the big 300s anyway.

The RCM's unfortunately for Ruger came out before they really learned how to market new rounds.

With the CM and PRC along with the .375 They created a demand before bringing them to market and put the competition rifles in the hands of guys and gals that immediately got them a national following.

The 300 compact mag to me was marketed very badly. 20 inch barrel? Get real. 30-06 or 30-06 ackley maybe. The 300 prc is a different animal. Basically a more accurate 300 weatherby. Same capacity and speed maybe. I have a 300 weatherby with a 27 inch lilja 3 groove 11 twist. With 200 gr nosler partitions and norma 217 with good pressure I cronoed it at 3130 and very good accuracy. Match that. Marketing. Elgin Gates killed everything that needed killing with a 300 weatherby. But they keep reinventing the wheel to keep selling and we are willing victims

The 300 compact mag to me was marketed very badly. 20 inch barrel? Get real. 30-06 or 30-06 ackley maybe. The 300 prc is a different animal. Basically a more accurate 300 weatherby. Same capacity and speed maybe. I have a 300 weatherby with a 27 inch lilja 3 groove 11 twist. With 200 gr nosler partitions and norma 217 with good pressure I cronoed it at 3130 and very good accuracy. Match that. Marketing. Elgin Gates killed everything that needed killing with a 300 weatherby. But they keep reinventing the wheel to keep selling and we are willing victims

300 RCM had no uniqueness to it, there was already plenty of short mags around and although a nice round didn't do anything that was already out there.

300 PRC on the other hand did/ does do a little something some of the previous 300 mags don't. It is designed to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets that are the trends of today and the factory guns will be produced to fit the cartridge. It's not just smart marketing, it's smart because they followed the market and produced a cartridge that fit today's market.

Ballistic wise it does nothing that a custom built 300 WM with hand loads can't do. It does have a better case design but that really not a big factor. The difference is the heavy bullet factory rounds that are accurate which you can't find for the other 300's. If one is interested in the 300 mags the PRC would be the smart choice IMO.

First, Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

Second, I have a nice 70 super grade in 300win mag but was thinking about my next "tactical" rig in one of these new super 30s or more likely the 28 or 26 Nosler (or equivalents).

First, Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

Second, I have a nice 70 super grade in 300win mag but was thinking about my next "tactical" rig in one of these new super 30s or more likely the 28 or 26 Nosler (or equivalents).
30 SM or 28 SM
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

I have a 338 RCM and like it. It was designed to match 338WM ballistics in a short action with a 20" barrel. The WM is a mag action and longer barrel, 24-26" I think. I cant get to WM level handloading but its close using the Barnes 185 GR. The biggest problem is the magazine length prevents getting very close to the lands. Mine doesnt seem to mind as it shoots .2". I like the rifle, stainless steel, light, quick handling, and accurate. I asked the game taken with it if they noticed it was 100 fps slower than a WM but they had no comment. It does what I want and uses less powder.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of getting one of the 300RCM in the 16.5" version, but have just started looking at the PRC as well. The 16.5" ones are few and far between it seems, but there are a bunch of rifles chambered in the PRC readily available.

I've talked to several smiths over the last six months about some future projects.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Nosler offerings or those from Hornady/Ruger. With the factory support they have they have what the industry terms, "staying power".

Personally I'm somewhat in love with the 375 Ruger and it's use as a parent case so that's the direction I'll be heading in for the next two or three projects.

They are based off the same parent cartridge and seems like they are built for similar purposes. Anyone have experience with both? RCM seems like it never caught on. Probably no advantages on any of the big 300s anyway.
Well, actually, the RCM case is the basis for the 6.5 PRC. The 300 PRC is based on the 375 Ruger.

The issue with these is 2 fold. First, the RCM was launched at a similar time as the SAUM and WSM, but with a lower marketing budget. So, it just got chambered and sold less. Remember how exciting the WSM marketing was? I mean people bought them slightly afraid it would hit their elk so fast, it might burn up. Now we know that as a failure in WSM design where they put a big case in a short chamber so they used short bullets, slow twist rates, blah, blah, blah.

In addition, they just designed it wrong…well all the short mags were designed wrong.

Cartridge design is relatively simple. First, you review the market for gaps, issues, new technology to take advantage of. Then you list out your specific targets.

Those will primarily drive bullet design, so pick a bullet or narrow range of bullets. These will set your neck, throat, twist, barrel length, etc.

This bullet needs driven at a certain velocity to perform at both the top and bottom end. Your targets should also tell you your performance bracket hi/lo. This will basical set case volume and shape.

Then test and modify until it meets targets.
At this point, you need to issue a "white paper" to gun makers, action makers, ammo makers to prepare them for launch. Create partnerships to ensure volume and timing.

I'm sure Ruger/Hornady did some of this, but the really missed on bullet, case volume and performance. They chose to back off and not market their way through the failures. Winchester did.

What short mag do we need? One that is WSM diameter, about 0.02" shorter cbtd, runs 175-195gr bullets in a 9 twist….or 8.5 for mono's and has a max oal of 2.95" and hits about 3000fps in those bullet weights.