300gn Scenar at 2700 yards

Tank, if his position were outrageous, I could kinda see the challenge, but to be asked to go through that kind of trouble to prove a logical, reasonable position seems to me to be asking an awful lot.

I can make a statement that unicorns don't exist. Someone else can think it's quite possible that they do and challenge me to disprove their existence. In my opinion it wouldn't be a reasonable challenge. I think the onus in this case is on the true believer in the unbelievable story - not the skeptic.

Tank, if his position were outrageous, I could kinda see the challenge, but to be asked to go through that kind of trouble to prove a logical, reasonable position seems to me to be asking an awful lot.

I can make a statement that unicorns don't exist. Someone else can think it's quite possible that they do and challenge me to disprove their existence. In my opinion it wouldn't be a reasonable challenge. I think the onus in this case is on the true believer in the unbelievable story - not the skeptic.

Well, I think we are beating a dead horse here. Every time someone comes up with good evidence of possibility, Kirby and Phorwath are the first to give every reason of BS and dispel a feat of possibility. We just read an article that a person of competent aptitude has tested and proved that it can be done under unfavorable conditions. As they say, proof is in the pudding! Again, and I restate that I have great respect for Kirby, but I would like to see one of the most competent shooters on this sight prove it wrong or possibly prove it right. If I had the ability to test it myself under my own termed conditions I would. Again I don't have that ability. Not owning equivalent equipment keeps me from doing so or a range long enough. 2700 yards in any direction in PA puts you over two mountain tops and a valley in almost any direction where I live.

Maybe this should be given to the Mythbusters and let them figure out if it is plausible, confirmed, or busted! That would make for an interesting show!!:rolleyes:

Tank

"(250 gr) Lapua LockBase B408 bullets fired at 936 m/s" is what used acc'd to this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_(sniper)

The wiki article seems well written, can anybody confirm it's accuracy in regards to the 250g LockBase B408 bullet being used? If that was the bullet and ammo used (all the corresponding numbers are there in article regarding transonic range given the environmentals of the shot and a number of 1548m was using JBM ballistics software. Quite a bit further to 2707 yds.

If this was the ammo used, the numbers start to border on the fantastic, to put it mildly. This is just basic ballistics.

Furthermore the article states the the rifle manufacturer offers 45MOA canted mounts, and a total of 168 MOA would've been needed for the shot, "Accuracy International produces mounts for telescopic sights with a 13.09 mil (45 MOA) built in cant designed for their .338 Lapua Magnum rifles fitted with the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II LP telescopic sight. How much adjustment does this scope have? With the base the AI produces and the scope in question, can we get 168 MOA out of the rail, scope and reticle?

Last edited:
Liltank,

First off, you seem to misunderstand my position on this topic. If you would have read my comments on the original topic of this event you would know I clearly believe that the kill is possible and that certainly the 338 Lapua has plenty of power at this range to easily kill any human if hit correctly.

My concerns is with the three shots, three kills claim and I stand by that. I also agree that if I were in this position, I would do the exact same thing this sniper did, throw lead until the thread was eliminated or I ran out of ammo and had to call in support. Of course, running out of ammo in this situation would not be wise.

As far as the test you propose I perform that you feel needs to be done to support my "Opinion" is not needed. I have tested this with hundreds of shots. This is not opinion I am offering, its based solely on actual shooting I have done with MANY chamberings in this caliber at ranges from 1900 to 3000 yards and probably close to $1000 spent in just ammo componants in this testing alone.

Several years back we were heavy into getting into the Varmint Masters Down range clubs. This is a world wide competition to make live varmint kills at various ranges including 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 yards as well as a competition for the longest shot of the year award.

We set up some smaller caliber rifles and my brother, my Dad and myself all quickly got into the 500 yard club the first time we went out. On the next couple trips we tried for the 1000 yard clubs but this proved to be much more challanging. As such, I put together two heavy V-Block rifles just for this purpose. Both were chambered in the 338 Kahn(338-378 Wby with 35 degree shoulder). My rifle had a 34" barrel and short throat, my brothers had a 36" barrel and he wanted it long throated.

My rifles favorite load was the 300 gr SMK at 2850 fps and my brothers accuracy load was the same bullet at 2930 fps. In our drop chart testing we needed to use a BC of .80 at our 3500 ft elevation to get exbal to match up with actual bullet trajectory.

After several weeks of testing the drop charts we took my brothers rifle out and He and Dad used it to make one shot kills at 1010 and 1015 yards.

By this time I had built my "little" Black Sunshine chambered in my 338 Allen Magnum and on its first outing we set up just to see what it would do and I was able to make a rockchuck kill at 2370 yards with it. Admittedly, I had to walk in the shots because I had not even fine tuned a drop chart yet but it took a total of 6 shots at this range. The 6 shot landed true so I was in the 2000 yard club on the first outing with this rifle and that shot turned out to be the longest shot of the year for a live varmint kill.

On the next outing I used Black sunshine to make a kill at 1095 yards qualifying me for the 1000 yard club as well. So now we were all in the 500 and 1000 yard clubs and I had gotten into the 2000 yard club.

I stepped back now and let Dad and My brother try for the 1500 yard club using his Kahn. Unfortunately this just did not happen because it was late in the season and the targets got few and far between. However, we did want to keep practicing so we would go out hunting and if nothing showed as far as a live varmint we would practice at field targets just to test drops and practice in the wind.

One day my brother set up in a 1/2 moa sized rock at what we measured to be 2500 yards. We dialed up for the shot and he sent a round down range. Dad and I were both spotting, nothing showed any sign of impact. We thought this was a bit strange so he sent another one down range. Again, nothing......

Now this rifle is a legit 1/4 moa rifle in good conditions, at 1000 yards, its not hard to hold 1/2 moa with three shots again in good conditions so I was very suprised to see these phantom shots.

We set there for several minutes trying to figure things out. Then we decided to check point of impact at 1000 yards thinking maybe we just lost our zero and were on the wrong revolution on the turret. Dialed back to zero and dialed up for the 1000 yard target. First shot sent up a plum of white dust off the rocks face. As did shots 2 and 3 on this 1 moa sized rock. All three hits were solidly in the center of the rock........

Dialed up again for 2500 yards, took a shot, nothing.......

Then we set up for a shot at roughly a mile, I beleive the target rock was at 1740 yards. Returned the scope to zero and dialed up for the new range. First shot landed on the bottom center edge of the roughly 1 moa target rock. Two clicks up and the next two shots landed solidly on the target. What was going on!!!

Tried again at 2500 yards and this time I pulled the magnification power back so I had a wider field of view. I beleive I dropped back to 20x instead of the 60 I was on earlier spotting the shots. This tine I did see the bullet impact. It was roughly 40 yard to the right???? He took another shot and this time the impact was about the same to the right but 30 yards low as well......

The last shot of the day was 20 yards low and a few yards to the left. Extremely poor consistancy.

Looking over the numbers, his rifle should have held super sonic velocity to 2450-2500 yards so what was the problem. I decided to unpack Black Sunshine and try it at this range. My load was the 300 gr SMK loaded to 3420 fps. Dialed up and first shot was about 2 moa low. Held up one more line on the NP-R2 reticle and on the second shot hit the rock. To be fair, the third shot landed just over the rock but the fourth shot did break the top edge of the rock.

It was late in the day so we decided to pull out and come back the next weekend. We loaded up a bunch of fresh ammo, checked muzzle velocity, cleaned the rifles and loaded up shooting bench and steel targets to do much more testing. We set up gongs at 2000, 2200, 2300, 2400 and 2500 yards.

Set up at 2000 yards. On the 20" round gong his rifle shot very well. Once dialed in it easily held three shots on the 1 moa gong... I then tried my Kahn with similiar results but admittedly, his rifle is more accurate then mine by around 1/4 moa at this range pretty consistantly. Still both were very consistant and accurate with predictable bullet tracking.

Next up was 2200 yards. Again, his rifle was dead on with the dial ups from 2000 to 2200 yards. First three shots landed on steel which in this case was my 18"x36" gong.

My rifle did pretty well putting two of three shots on the gong but again, it was clear his rifle was the better shooter. I then pulled out Black Sunshine and she proved more then up to this range.

Next was 2300 yards after the rifles cooled. My brothers did very well again, putting three out of five shots on steel with the two misses landing JUST off the gongs. My 338 Kahn however did not perform well at all. In fact shots flew very wide. Out of five shots fired, three came within 1 moa of the gong with no misses but two others landed very wide making a group that would be measured at around 5-6 moa. So at 2200 yards, the rifle was easily under 1 moa but at 2300 yards it was a 5-6 moa rifle......

Black Sunshine performed just as well as it had at 2200 yards. making it relatively easy to hit steel at this range in the good conditions we were shooting at.

Next up was 2400 yards. My brothers rifle started to show its limits here as it started performing just as mine had at 2300 yards. Now a rifle that was easily inder 3/4 moa at 2300 yards was not printing 4-5 moa groups. He did however get two shots on steel but he did have 6 misses as well.

Black Sunshine did much better with 4-5 shots on steel.

At 2500 yards. My 338 Kahn was shooting groups that had to be measured in yards and three shots were not even witnessed with impacts. My brothers repeated his performance from shooting at this range before.

Black sunshine again, performed very well, putting 4-7 shots on steel at this range with all misses being very close to steel.

It was clear that my rifle had a limit of around 2200-2250 yards with the 300 gr SMK loaded to 2850 fps. My brothers was allowing about 100 yards more reach with his roughly 100 fps higher muzzle velocity. When things went bad as far as bullet stability, things REALLY went bad quickly as far as group size growing dramatically.

In seeing this, I was curious how far my 338 Allen Magnum would reach. We found some target rocks at what we measured to be 2600, 2700 and 2800 yards away. At 2600 yards, the 338 AM was consistant and predictable. At 2700 yards, there was a noticable drop off in accuracy but shot placement was still consistant and predictable it was clear we were on the fringes. At 2800 yards, consistancy was way off the norm and predictability on scope adjustments was going away quickly. To the point it was clear that the rifle was not useful at this range for precision shooting.

These tests started a fever if you will to push the limits of extreme range consistancy and with the help from my good friend Richard Graves we did extensive testing with the 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua, 7mm AM, 300 RUM, 338 Xpress and my big 338 AM and 375 AMs.

The chamberings that offered the longest reach with consistant predictable shot placement were the 7mm AM with the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3300 fps with its BC of .920 and my 338 AM with the 300 gr SMK loaded to 3400 fps. Both of these offered 2700 yard reach but admittedly, the 7mm was very difficult to spot impacts and could really only be seen with good light conditions.

Then Richard sent me down some very aggressive 265 gr Aluminum tipped RBBT prototype bullets made with a very heavy jacket. I tested them in my 338 Allen Magnum and got a velocity of 3550 fps in one of my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles. At this velocity the drop testing showed a BC of around .88 to get trajectory matched up with exbal, which stated this load should stay supersonic past 3100 yards.

We set out to test this and set a 20" round gong up at a measured 3008 yards. Again, admittedly, I needed all of the MOA adjustment in the 5.5-22 NF scope and then still had to use the reticle for hold over to this range but once we got the hold figured out, the rifle went three for three on a 20" gong so that is 3/4 moa at 3000 yards.

The conditions were ideal, no mirage as it was a cool cloudy day, no wind, ideal. Later that day we tried to repeat the tests but it had cleared up and there was noticable mirage. In those conditions, even with no wind, I was only able to get one shot on steel out of five fired simply because of the mirage.

It was clear however that in good conditions, this load was a legit 3000 yard reacher.

We also tested these bullets in the smaller 338 magnums and it was the same results there, roughly adding 300 yards to the maximum effective range of the chamberings used.

In testing the 338 Lapua with 300 gr SMK, it to is around a 2300 yard rifle in ideal conditions. With the most aggressive BC bullets out there it could be extended to 2600 yards in my testing. At 9000 ft elevation, 2700 yards could be possible but again, that is with extremely high BC bullets.

Again, I have tested this dozens of times and it always holds true. Admittedly, I have never used the Senar bullets much, have no desire to, their BC is only marginally higher then the 300 gr SMK and performance tests have been done over and over again proving they are not a good game bullet so I have no desire to test them but I have tested the 300 gr SMK with a very similiar BC and a 265 gr AT RBBT with a vastly superior BC and have no doubt what the Senar would do and that would be perform very similiar to the SMK.

If your calling me out because of my comments, please do not read more into them then what I have said. I am not saying this was not possible, I am just saying that making three hits at this range in three shots is so unlikely it boarders on extremely hard to believe.

The guy on sniper hide only proved my point for me. Why do you need to have me duplicate this test again, this guy just did it and I am sure I would get identical performance as he just did which is inconsistant shot placement at this range with a 338 Lapua.

He did prove its possible to hit a 3 foot gong one time out of at least 5 shots but he also proved his rifle and his ability was not up to making three hits in a row.......

Do we need to prove it again?

Its been proven time and time again. I am glad the brit killed those guys. I have no doubt it happened, my only claim is that I find it very hard to believe he went three for three, that has been my only point all along, DO NOT READ MORE INTO IT THEN I HAVE SAID!!

Fair enough. I like your explanation, and I guess I was missing your point. I like the extensive testing you provided also. Thank you for taking the time to explain what I have been missing in your conversation. I think we can all benefit from your testing you have just provided.

Thank You,
Tank

Well, I think we are beating a dead horse here. Every time someone comes up with good evidence of possibility, Kirby and Phorwath are the first to give every reason of BS and dispel a feat of possibility.

Again, and I restate that I have great respect for Kirby, but. . .

:rolleyes:

Tank

There's always a possibility as long as a rifle will throw a bullet downrange far enough to reach the target. Dosn't mean it's likely. My bet is the sniper never even practiced, or practices, at this range. So in all likelihood, it was a first time out for him at these ranges. Why practice at a range with a rifle where you're shooting patterns (shotgun style) rather than groups (rifle style).

Is your statement the equivalent that you have less than great respect for me...

I did say everyone ought to believe whatever makes them feel good. That should be enough to generate some respect. No?

Again, I have tested this dozens of times and it always holds true. Admittedly, I have never used the Senar bullets much, have no desire to, their BC is only marginally higher then the 300 gr SMK and performance tests have been done over and over again proving they are not a good game bullet so I have no desire to test them but I have tested the 300 gr SMK with a very similiar BC and a 265 gr AT RBBT with a vastly superior BC and have no doubt what the Senar would do and that would be perform very similiar to the SMK.

A very interesting read on the ultra-long range shooting you and your kin did Kirby. I still find it amazing that one can even see the bullet impacts at ranges exceeding 1 1/2 miles. Without regard to the sniper story one way or the other, thanks for spending the time providing the results of your extensive, and expensive, field testing.

Wonder if the guys on Sniper's Hide have been taking a peek at our Forum and this Thread? Probably drive them over the edge! :D

Is your statement the equivalent that you have less than great respect for me...

I did say everyone ought to believe whatever makes them feel good. That should be enough to generate some respect. No?

No disrespect, your etiquette on the matter has been less than honorable in some of your reply's. Your feel good statement comes off a little smart and makes me feel like I should be a fool to believe it. If that was not your intention... then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

So I got to hang out with a guy this evening that I have know for about 3 or 4 years now. He currently is a private contractor over in the sandbox 4 months at a clip. He said, "You still shooting?" I of course answered yes. He then said, "What do you think of that shot that Brit made?" Then he started going into discussion how shots in the distance realm of 1500 to 2700 yards is a practical application over there. He said alone he has to qualify with 20,000rnds prior to his deployment and that is from 5m with H&K 416's to 500m+. He also said that if he is firing that many rounds, how many more are the snipers currently operating. He said the array of weaponry used for long range sniping is impressive.

He said a guy in his unit had the longest until the British sniper. He said there are many other similar shots made that are not heard of due to ops. Believe me or not, but he said the Lapua is a bad rifle. He said you would be absolutely amazed at the level these guys are shooting and doing it unknown distances. He said most us plot maps they have drawn with known distances, but unknown distance and shots are regular and at very long range. Just a new fact that makes the shot that much more believable. He said that 10,000ft of elevation is the norm. Most engagements are at higher elevations. So now we have a new variable to the equation.

This is a man that has spent some serious time in the box.

Tank

This is why I say believe what you want to if it makes you feel better. Just don't expect others to fall in line with your strong preferences. And don't consider other's comments less than honorable if they differ from yours. Or try to contort and twist other's comments into something more than what they are.

Any number of us said 3 for 3 was a tall tale to believe. Turns out it wasn't 3 for 3. Best as I can tell, there was never even a third hit now. I don't recall anyone saying it was beyond the realm of possibility that he may have hit an enemy at 2700 yds. That's how you chose to interpret the comments. I don't recall anyone criticizing the sniper or the troops. That's the peer pressure technique you appllied. For what purpose? Discourage the expression of a difference of opinion? To get others to cower in submission to your take on the article? So I took the time to make it clear there is no relationship - none whatsoever - between support for the troops and whether or not someone believes an article written by a journalist. A journalist that must have never shot a rifle in his life to come up with that dandy of a tall tale.

BTW, did you ask this contact if they practice at ranges farther than where the bullets start tumbling? I'd be curious if they waste their time and ammo trying to hit targets when the bullets are tumbling sideways. And if they do, exactly what benefit that serves other than to get used to the muzzle blast and recoil.

Last edited:
10,000 ft. may not be uncommon, but, back to the issue at hand of the shot(s) being discussed, reports are that Musa Qala is at 3422'.

From the wikipedia article I linked to earlier, "... 1,043 m (3,422 ft) altitude or elevation (air density ρ = 1.1069 kg/m3) of Musa Qala."

Everyone who thinks that questioning things has no effect on how troops should ask a sniper who has been there and lost friends there.

During the last thread on the history channel sniper show I asked my brother in law if he had caught it and he had not so he finally caught it and I asked him what he though. He said it was hard to see one of the shots cause he was just down the road and the sniper was a friend, he then related the back story of that engagement.
I then got him to check out the thread, the next time I talked to him he said that he would never visit this site again due to the disrespect displayed to military members with actual combat experience in the thread, this shocked me so I asked him about what he saw and he explained a lot on what these things do to the troops moral.

If you think that going over these shots and tossing out our BS flags doesn't affect a sniper and what he thinks you are dead wrong, period.

My brother in law went 3 rounds in Iraq as a Marine sniper and they shoot and know there weapons better than anyone on this site, he related in one night his team shot over 400 rounds, that's one night they shoot a lot!! Some amazing shooting that obviously know one will believe.

These stories, true or not are very important to the actual sniper in the field. At this time of year and in this time in history troop moral is hanging by a thread and if you don't think discussions like this don't hurt then you need think again.

Just my two cents, I have definite thought on this particular shot but an internet forum is not a place to go over it.

Remember our troops tomorrow, with gratefulness and honor!!!!

Well for fear of treading on sacred ground, it sounds like the topic of any sniper-related shot or troop-related acitivity should simply be off limits. Then we could just mull over the journalist articles as we saw fit as individuals. No questions asked, no worries about the affect any discussion might have on others.

Somehow that seems contrary to the basic concept of a Forum. Any Forum.

Well for fear of treading on sacred ground, it sounds like the topic of any sniper-related shot or troop-related acitivity should simply be off limits. Then we could just mull over the journalist articles as we saw fit as individuals. No questions asked, no worries about the affect any discussion might have on others.

Somehow that seems contrary to the basic concept of a Forum. Any Forum.
I agree that it's contrary to the basic concept of a forum.

First, it's somewhat sad that comments made on an internet forum (discussion place) on an unlikely event are interpreted by some as some sort of an attack on honor.

Second, I don't think it's a civilian's duty to give up basic freedoms - like freedom of speech or of expression. We have a military to defend us against infringement on these natural rights. The right to life, to liberty, to speak freely, to publish what we write, to defend ourselves, to pursue happiness - all these rights that we're endowed with as a result of our humanity. To ensure these rights our society has developed a complex military apparatus.

I speak from first-hand knowledge that the troops feel good knowing that their actions are a good portion of the reason we're able to continue speaking freely and pursuing happiness. I think they'd truly be most offended if we stopped.

Insofar as the three shots - to summarize - to me it seems like there's a consensus that the first two kills are possible and not seriously questioned. It's the third shot disabling the machine gun that puts it over the top. That's precisely what I've said from the start.

Just think of the tiny number of hit locations on a machine gun that would render it inoperable... then think of the distance and behavior of the bullet under ideal conditions and do some math to calculate probability. It'd probably be similar to hitting the lottery on consecutive weeks. This conclusion doesn't mean that I hold the sniper in low regard - it means that the journalist is very likely full of crap.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.