3006 brass and reload data ?

WhiteOak

Need help deciding on brass.
I have Win. Hornady . and Nosler available from sportsman's warehouse.
What is best for a factory chamber and if I'm loading for minimum to middle of the road velocities , does it matter ?

Thanks !

I have 200 pieces of Nosler brass for my rifle that I have not regretted buying at all. I also use Winchester brass for plinking and practice loads. The Winchester needs more preparation and sorting in order to obtain best results. I haven't played with Hornady in my .30/06, but have had good luck in my 6.5 Grendel. Brand is not as important as long as the brass is prepared and sorted for weight differences. Have FUN and be safe.

With those three choices, I would choose Nosler. I use Winchester and Federal brass myself.

I have a 30-06 with a Brux barrel and use Lapua brass in it now. My second choice brass is Winchester and with a factory barrel it would be my choice simply because it is cheaper and I don't find much difference between the two as far as accuracy goes if any with this rifle. I anneal after 5 loadings.

Thanks guys , I'm cornfuzzled about this weight separation thing !

I have read that it's best to start with the heaviest ones first , so if this is true , how is accuracy affected by the time you move towards the lighter ones of the the same load ?

You want to weigh all of the cases and find the average weight of the individual cases. Some will weigh maybe a grain or more or less than the average. Cull them out and mark them and use them as fouler rounds or even for a finish off wounded game round etc. WW cases will work just a good as Nosler if you do the prep work on them. What I do is run all new cases through a FL sizing die to make sure the necks or are sized and straightened up. Then trim them all to the trim to length if needed and champher the mouths. Then I use a Lyman inside the case flash hole de-burring tool to clean up the flash holes and I also do the primer pocket with the uniform tool. Then I weigh all my cases and cull out the oddballs.
By the way 51.2 grs IMR 4064, WW case, CCI 200 or BR-2 primer with 150 gr Sierra, Hornady or Speer Sps has been very accurate and deadly in most 30-06s.

Thanks RT, anything wrong with regular win. brass , I haven't seen ww brass in stores.
But I did get me some imr 4064.

Need help deciding on brass.
I have Win. Hornady . and Nosler available from sportsman's warehouse.
What is best for a factory chamber and if I'm loading for minimum to middle of the road velocities , does it matter ?

Thanks !
Here's the order I'd put those in...

Nosler
Winchester
Hornady

I have read that it's best to start with the heaviest ones first , so if this is true , how is accuracy affected by the time you move towards the lighter ones of the the same load ?

Buy the Nosler brass and don't worry about weight-sorting. Nosler does all that for you, along with prepping the brass. So as soon as you get it, it's ready to load straight out of the box. That's why it costs more than other brands, but that extra bit of money is worth it, for saving you all that hassle, IMO.

I think you may be getting a little too deep in this.

I do a lot of weight segregation because I assemble 100 case lots from once-fired brass. The objective is to ensure consistant case volumes across the lot. My criteria is +/- 1%. 30-06 cases tend to weigh around 185 grains or so, depending on manufacturer so, if 185 is my "average", a lot will vary in weight from 183 to 187 grains. That's a fairly tight range but I have 5-600 cases at a time I'm working with so it's easy to assemble lots that close.

All cases are resized to SAAMI minimums, trimmed to the same length, flash holes deburred prior to weighing.

You start with the heaviest case because, theoretically, all else being equal, that's the one with the least capacity and will develope the highest pressure. I say theoretically because it works that way pretty much but the fact is that if you are really going to that extreme, it;'s best to actually measure the capacity of each case in water.

I do all this because I'm trying to beat guys shooting cast bullets from stock military rifles where the 5-shot record is something like 0.15", but the average is closer to 1".

That said, in standard chambered rifles shooting commercial bullets from just about any manufacturer, I'd buy 100 cases, load and shoot them without a single thought to all the crap I go through normally because the volumetric differences within a single lot of 30-06 cases from a know manufacturer will not vary enough to cause any pressure and/or accuracy issues for what you are doing, out to at least 300 yards, IMO.

OAK - i cant remember what rifle you have. i use lapua in my bolt rifles. i use nickel ( rem or win ) in my garands they are easier to find. nosler i use in rifles that do not have lapua available (7mm mag)

I think you may be getting a little too deep in this.

I do a lot of weight segregation because I assemble 100 case lots from once-fired brass. The objective is to ensure consistant case volumes across the lot. My criteria is +/- 1%. 30-06 cases tend to weigh around 185 grains or so, depending on manufacturer so, if 185 is my "average", a lot will vary in weight from 183 to 187 grains. That's a fairly tight range but I have 5-600 cases at a time I'm working with so it's easy to assemble lots that close.

All cases are resized to SAAMI minimums, trimmed to the same length, flash holes deburred prior to weighing.

You start with the heaviest case because, theoretically, all else being equal, that's the one with the least capacity and will develope the highest pressure. I say theoretically because it works that way pretty much but the fact is that if you are really going to that extreme, it;'s best to actually measure the capacity of each case in water.

I do all this because I'm trying to beat guys shooting cast bullets from stock military rifles where the 5-shot record is something like 0.15", but the average is closer to 1".

That said, in standard chambered rifles shooting commercial bullets from just about any manufacturer, I'd buy 100 cases, load and shoot them without a single thought to all the crap I go through normally because the volumetric differences within a single lot of 30-06 cases from a know manufacturer will not vary enough to cause any pressure and/or accuracy issues for what you are doing, out to at least 300 yards, IMO.

Thanks Bill , reading up on this stuff has so many variables and had me scratching my head.
Thanks for your reply and I'm not going to sweat it now.
I just need 1 " or better moa .

If I want to seat a tangent shape for .090 " can a secant shape be done the same ?

OAK - i cant remember what rifle you have. i use lapua in my bolt rifles. i use nickel ( rem or win ) in my garands they are easier to find. nosler i use in rifles that do not have lapua available (7mm mag)

it's a Weatherby vanguard s2 3006.

go online and get some lapua 30-06 - the best by far. Rem is trash - period. Win is ok to good, nosler seems decent. I did not like hornady as seemed soft to me in the base, but hands down better than rem. This all becomes moot unless you push pressures or want super accuracy. The only brand brass that you want to stay away from is the Rem. But, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.