300 wsm 230 berger hybrids

Camaro80z

Just thought I'd share my most recent findings with my 300 wsm. Rifle is a savage model 10 center feed with a 27 inch 10 twist Hart sendero contour barrel. With the 230 hybrids at a 3.220 oal I am getting 2850 fps on the nose with single digit es and sd. Barrel is still in the break in process but is already showing promise with several 5 shot groups in the .1's and .2's. So far it appears case life should be exceptional with Winchester brass showing little to no expansion at the web and primer pockets are staying tight. All in all I am extremely pleased the rifle should be a serious long range hammer.

That is awesome velocity from a WSM with a 230. We could only get 2775 from a Win Mag in a 28" using H-1000 over an Oehler 35. Congrats! What powder and what chronograph you using?

Jeff

I was using a shooting chrony alpha. Before you pick on me about that we fire several other handguns and rifles through it with known velocities proven by drop charts and it was dead on. The powder is imr 7828ssc

7828ssc is my favorite in the 300 WSM with heavies too. What is your powder charge with the 230s?

I was using a shooting chrony alpha. Before you pick on me about that we fire several other handguns and rifles through it with known velocities proven by drop charts and it was dead on. The powder is imr 7828ssc

Wasn't meaning to pick on you actually, I congratulated you on your success.

Sorry I blew up..

Jeff

Absolutely no offense taken sorry if I came off as rude I just know the rather poor reputation of the shooting chronys and just wanted to let you know I wasn't crazy.

I'd rather not give the powder charge as this rifle does not have a standard chamber and don't want people trying to duplicate it and blowing themselves up. I will say it is a higher than book max load with 215m's and they are jumping.

Who says this long bullet should be destined to be shot from those long magnum cases? Nice job getting it to shoot so fast.

Last year I posted that I had found an accurate load with my friend's 300 WSM 22" Browning A-max with Boss using RL-17 and the 230 hybrid. Velocity 2720 fps. I had to keep OAL short to fit his 2.8" mag box. The joke is that the bullet is sitting on the flash hole. (see pic)

My 85 yr old friend shot a cow elk at 300 yd with this rifle. Shot was behind both shoulders with exit hole of 1 1/2". The cow took a step and within a few seconds it just tipped over. It didn't collapse but leaned till it hit flat on its side with legs extended. It sure spooked the other cows with it.

It can be pushed over 2900fps, but there is no use in abusing the brass, plus the ES and group size starts to grow. Someone really gave that little short fat case a kick in the *****! :D. The 300wby will be laying a 150fps smack down on the RUM next, but what the hell do I know! Lol :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.