Berger 30 caliber 230 grain hybrids

Bob Beck

I wanted to throw a quick thread on here about the latest hunting trips we have been using the Berger 30 caliber, 230 grain Hybrids. This bullet has not stopped impressing us yet!

We were on a trip to New Zealand just two weeks ago with Eric Stecker from Berger bullets. While there we really got to stretch the legs on this bullet while on the trip. With the B.C. at.743, we were able to make some shots out to 775 yards on wallabies with no windage compensation on a calm afternoon. Then we went on to kill a couple stags, feral goats, Chamois, Thar, Fallow, etc... out to almost a 1000 yards! Everything the bullets touched, ended up in the back of the pickup truck!

Then just last week while I hosted Sportsman Channel Jake Thoele on his very first ever Bear hunt here in Oregon, again it was the same story. These big bears can be difficult to keep down, but the huge boar we shot fell flat to the bullet and stayed flat!

For you 30 caliber guys, I would seriously give these a try!

I've been using the tactical version, and like you I absolutely love how forgiving they are.

Great post Bob, thanks for having the guts to try the "Target" bullets in a hunting situation. I've heard some try to discourage it but your report mirrors the reports of others on this site using the "non hunting" hybrids. Walt himself told me in an email a couple of months ago that he would not be a bit afraid to use the 230 hybrid bullets on game after the hunting reports he had coming in at the time. Your hunting reports continue to back that up. I will be giving the 215's at 3,140fps a whirl this next season at long range, hopefully:)

Bob, Our experiences with these 230's on elk deer and antelope mirror yours. My son took this bull with a 230 from his 300 win last fall. Not that long of a shot, 511 yards, but the wind was 40 mph plus on the rock peak we shot from.

Look at the shot placement!!

Then the next day he took a nice Muley at 893 yards. Both were "One and done!!"

Thats my boy!! :D

Jeff.

DSC03269Small.jpg

DSC03282Medium.jpg

I am glad you guys are saying the same thing I am! I think this bullet is Everything and more then Berger could have hoped for.

We are taking this same setup to Africa next week. I am hoping to get a 1000 yard poke or two with it while we are there. Hopefully longer if things work out. I really would like to see it's potential around that 1200 yard mark. I shot it at our rifle class
in Arizona that McMillan hosts for our customers this March at 1800 yards. I was able to put a 10" group down for all the guys to see. So we know the accuracy will not be a issue. We just need the animals out there, plus the conditions right to make it happen. I will keep you guys posted on how it turned out when we get back.

511 yards with 40 mph wind! That bull may as well have been on the moon! That's a badass shot no matter how you look at it! Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.