300 WM, Tikka T3X Lite: Accuracy, Experiences, Recommendations?

There are better bullets one can shoot particularly for his application that will not have that problem/limitation.
Maybe better after you made the decision to limit yourself to 3.4" but not if you pick the correct action for the application. Building a true long action cartridge and limiting yourself to 3.4" in the year 2019 makes zero since. We are on a long range forum. If you are shooting 200 yards buy a cheap walmart rifle and some white box ammo and go kill stuff. I can not even wrap my head around it. Loosing .2-.3" of case capacity for what? There are other options, better options plain and simple.

Maybe better after you made the decision to limit yourself to 3.4" but not if you pick the correct action for the application. Building a true long action cartridge and limiting yourself to 3.4" in the year 2019 makes zero since. We are on a long range forum. If you are shooting 200 yards buy a cheap walmart rifle and some white box ammo and go kill stuff. I can not even wrap my head around it. Loosing .2-.3" of case capacity for what? There are other options, better options plain and simple.

There are better bullets for game than the VLD's which require you to load them close to or into the lands.

Hello all,

I was turned on to the T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag. My hopes are for consistent shots around the 5 or 600 yard mark for hunting purposes, further on steel if possible. What is everyone's experiences with this rifle? Accuracy out to these ranges? Common hunting loads you have found worked? Issues with the rifle? What bullet weights work out of this rifle with the 11 twist? I hunt bear, muley and elk. Also I have heard seating length of bullets is limited the magazine? If so, is it only the magazine that limits length or elsewhere? Any ways around this?

Thank you!

I own one and use it for hunting purpose only. Light.
I put a metal bottom metal on it and got rid of the plastic junk. Gun shoots as good as to be expected not being able to land the bullet anywhere close to the lands

with that being Said the gun like rl 19 150-180 gr , h4831sc 180-200 grain, and h1000 180 gr and up.
My hunting load for general purpose is 180gr interlock or partion with h1000. Really likes flat base bullets and love those 2. I push the bullet about max book load around 80.1 gr around 3000fps.
All three shoot real good.
4831 little slow. But good
Rl 19 I have found very accurate but have high ES that I assume is case fill issue but good accuracy.
H1000 with 180 gr plus is very nice. Shot yesterday at 300yards and it shot a 2.5 inch group very consistent. Maybe with a better scope , more a tactical I could do better with the addition of better eyes. Anyway, good killer and light rig.
Cheers

There are better bullets for game than the VLD's which require you to load them close to or into the lands.
We will have to agree to disagree. I have lost count of how many animals I have killed or personally witnessed killed with VLDs and the 215 Hybrid is even more deadly. I have killed animals on three different continents with the 215 and most never take another breath after bullet impact. It is impossible to do better than that. I think what you meant to say is YOU PREFER different bullets because the fact is it just does not get better than that unless you are after dangerous game. If that is the case the Tikka most definitely is not the rifle to choose. Regardless of bullet choice it makes zero sense to shoot a small for caliber bullet in the year 2019. If you are picking a large for caliber bullet you will be limiting case capacity with the outdated 3.4" mag box period. By the time you get to a bullet that is not eating capacity in the 300WM in a 3.4" box you are in bullet weights that are available in a 7 rem mag. In that case the 7 rem mag will outrun the 300WM long range due to the higher bc of the 7 bullets. Once again if we were shooting at 200 yards who cares but this is a long range forum.

Hello all,

I was turned on to the T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag. My hopes are for consistent shots around the 5 or 600 yard mark for hunting purposes, further on steel if possible. What is everyone's experiences with this rifle? Accuracy out to these ranges? Common hunting loads you have found worked? Issues with the rifle? What bullet weights work out of this rifle with the 11 twist? I hunt bear, muley and elk. Also I have heard seating length of bullets is limited the magazine? If so, is it only the magazine that limits length or elsewhere? Any ways around this?

Thank you!
As the name implies they are light. If you are not recoil shy then that is a good choice for you. They mostly have a thin barrel and heat up quickly in magnum calibers.

There are available bottom metals that will get you to 3.6" oal.
For a Tikka? None I am aware of. The Redsnake will get you 3.5" and add weight. The longer AICS will not fit in a Tikka. The action is the limitation.

Yes. Mountain tactical. Some small mods need to be made to the trigger housing and fees ramp. All very easy to do. Gets you 3.6. I've got one set up here.
That is interesting because the guy that makes it showed me a pic with a caliper in the mag at it was 3.5". We spoke before it was available to purchase. I struggle to see how 3.6" would feed because the mag well in the action is not that long. It any case you are still slapping a bandaid on an action when you could just get a 700 or clone for a 300 build. I doubt the 3.6" but that is still .1 shorter than most long range bullets could use and with some of the newer longer bullets you really need a Wyatt box to get to 3.850".

I own three Tikka's my 300wm loves off the shelf Nosler 180AB sub MOA well past 500 yards, longest kill with factory ammo 537 yards mule deer, I load ABLR 210 to mag length with H1000 sub MOA to 1000 yards longest kill on elk this year 806 yards, the pic was 180AB @ 500

Attachments

• 5530295D-F172-41A4-AA53-3B9E0937635D.jpeg
    5530295D-F172-41A4-AA53-3B9E0937635D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 169
Again, two mods must be made. One to the trigger housing and one to the feed ramp. It gets you the extra oal.
I will buy that. I just measured my Tikka and it is right at 3.6 but no way it would feed that without some mods. I personally would not be cutting on the trigger and from the factory it still has an 11 twist.

That seems to be a common complaint on Tikka LAs. I do not own a Tikka (yet) but I have a SAKOM995 in .300WM with a magazine that clears at the 3.7" range.
Would love to see few pictures if possible. Mine is getting rebarreled at PVA as we speak
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.