300 WM, Tikka T3X Lite: Accuracy, Experiences, Recommendations?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I was turned on to the T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag. My hopes are for consistent shots around the 5 or 600 yard mark for hunting purposes, further on steel if possible. What is everyone's experiences with this rifle? Accuracy out to these ranges? Common hunting loads you have found worked? Issues with the rifle? What bullet weights work out of this rifle with the 11 twist? I hunt bear, muley and elk. Also I have heard seating length of bullets is limited the magazine? If so, is it only the magazine that limits length or elsewhere? Any ways around this?

Thank you!

Bry you'll need to check mfg specs for the bullets you want to use. You should be ok with the 180's, maybe even 190's but above that you might need a faster twist. Bullets in that class are more than adequate though for your purposes and the game you are seeking.

You also need to keep in mind that "light" and "magnum" rarely go together comfortably as the lighter the rifle the greater the felt recoil.

We've had a lot of Tikka shooters here over the years and all or nearly all of them had very good things to say about their rifles.

Hello all,

I was turned on to the T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag. My hopes are for consistent shots around the 5 or 600 yard mark for hunting purposes, further on steel if possible. What is everyone's experiences with this rifle? Accuracy out to these ranges? Common hunting loads you have found worked? Issues with the rifle? What bullet weights work out of this rifle with the 11 twist? I hunt bear, muley and elk. Also I have heard seating length of bullets is limited the magazine? If so, is it only the magazine that limits length or elsewhere? Any ways around this?

Thank you!

Do a search query on this site and synthesize the information that is applicable to you. As WR noted, Tikka has quite the following and continually growing.

A 215 Beger seated to touch the lands in a SAAMI chamber will be near 3.7". The Tikka will limit you to 3.4" that is a noticeable amount of performance left on the table due to a short magazine. I love Tikkas but would NEVER own one in a long action magnum cartridge.

I love my 06 in my T3 lite. I think your 300 will be more than capable for your inquiry. As for your last question you can always load it singly when shooting at extended ranges with your longer OAL.

Cabelas had the altra lite in 300wm,300wsm 30-06,7mag and 308 but didnt have one in 708 or 6.5swede sooooo with a little contemplating I chose the 06. Its easy to carry , kicks like a mule, is a tad fussy on the load it likes and will hit a milk jug @ 900 yards.
It is scheduled to have its barrel threaded for a suppressor to tame it down a bit.
The mag limits length in the 06 let alone the wm? But ya dont need a missel for 600 yards.

I just used a tikka 300wm in an experiment. Wanted to come up with something that shot flat and hit hard still. Decided I could give two craps less about the barrel as I bought the rifle as an action donor. I loaded some 125nbt until I found a decent pressure. Loaded 3 and they planted themselves at 3/4" and 3600fps. 7.7" of drop at 400yrds.

Load for a friends tikka 300wsm we cut 2" of barrel off of and it shoots 200 accubonds into a hole at 2800.

Every tikka I have tinkered with has been pretty easy to work with.

A 215 Beger seated to touch the lands in a SAAMI chamber will be near 3.7". The Tikka will limit you to 3.4" that is a noticeable amount of performance left on the table due to a short magazine. I love Tikkas but would NEVER own one in a long action magnum cartridge.

That seems to be a common complaint on Tikka LAs. I do not own a Tikka (yet) but I have a SAKOM995 in .300WM with a magazine that clears at the 3.7" range.

I posted this a few months ago about the same rifle youre asking about. Quite a long jump to the lands with the factory ammo, but the rifle shot well in spite of it. I shot it at 600 yards from a bipod a week later and it shot 1MOA at 600 with the same ammo. Its a lightweight rifle and it has significant recoil, but for a hunting rifle its manageable.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-300wm.224902/#post-1693930

There are better bullets one can shoot particularly for his application that will not have that problem/limitation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.