300 WM Case Not Ejecting

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by chilli42, Nov 4, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. chilli42

chilli42 Active Member

I have a custom 300 WM with a Rem 700 action. Shot perfectly for 6 months. Then the problem started. With a cold barrel I can put 3 shots down range. On the fourth or fifth shot the case will not eject - the bolt comes back but the case remains stuck in the action. I am using factory ammo Nosler Accubond (tried other rounds and same deal..I have to push the case out with a cleaning rod to get it clear. I thought it might be the case but there are no marks on the brass at all. Before I take it to a gunsmith, has anyone had a problem like this before? How did you resolve it? Why would this happen after 3 or 4 rounds when the rifle warms up? I am inclined to think there is a problem with the action but there are still a few possibilities. Thanks for your advice.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic Official LRH Sponsor

Thats typical of a 700 extractor. Have your smith put an M16 in it.

bigngreen and chilli42 like this.
  3. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

I read the title and immediately thought it's a Remington 700 action lol. Same thing happened to me. I cleaned up the chamber and my bolt face real good and it straightened out.

crystalgayleguy and chilli42 like this.
  4. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

Just to double check - the problem is the bolt is not Extracting the fired case?

5. chilli42

chilli42 Active Member

Yes, the bolt comes back but the case remains stuck in the action. It’s like the bolt is unable to extract the case. As I say though, this only happens after 3-4 rounds have been fired not on a cold barrel

6. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

The things I would do are:
    1. Check the head space. If it's borderline too long the extractor may have a hard time grabbing the rim.
    2. Replace the extractor. Many people hate the Rem 700 extractor, but they have been known to work fine.

chilli42 likes this.
  7. Mram10us

Mram10us Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I haven’t had issues with my extractors and I exclusively use Rem 700s. Headspace check sound like a good idea after a quick borescope of chamber

chilli42 likes this.