300 Win Mag

adamsoa

I have a Winchester Sporter in .300 win mag. Its been a good gun so far but after playing with it, about 1" is all that I can do. I am going to send it in to get blueprinted and while there I'm thinking of having a new barrel put on it.

The decision part is whether I want to stay with a .300 win mag or go to a 7 mm rem mag. Is one going to be better than the other for hunting (mostly deer and elk) and just shooting out to 800-900 yards?

Since you a already have brass and dies for the 300 win stick with it. There is not enough difference between the two to matter.

As for sending it off and having it blue printed..Your wasting you time and money en less your putting on a new barrel at the same time. Why pay to have it done twice.

A 1'' group is probably good if you are shooting factory ammo but reloads should be better. I went back and forth between 7mm and 300 mag for a long time and stuck with the .300. They both work at long range with good bullets. If you spend the money on blueprinting you need the new barrel. Krieger, Lija, Hart, Schilen, to name a few, would greatly improve your accuracy. I just got a Krieger and can't believe the difference it made.

Altho I am a died in the wool 7mm Rem Mag( former .264 Win Mag) guy I have thought a lot about the 300 Win Mag, esp since the US military is converting M24A1's to 300 Win Mag( for 7800 of our tax dollars EACH) and since in a few yrs there willl be TONS of surplus 300 WIn Mag match ammo to buy cheap. So in your shoes not sure I would go the 284 route just yet. A Hart bbl on your 300 will make it do all you want to do.

Thanks for the help. It was shooting 1" with reloads. We had to work on it to get that.
I think I'm convinced to get a new .300 wm barrel and a blueprint. I'm excited to see what it can do.

Without knowing whether you've done this or not, I wil go ahead and recommend you seriously consider having the new barreled action bedded & have a trigger job done at the same time.

Long Time 300 WM Shooter:

I would consider how many rounds have been fired in this rifle. If it's less than 2,000 +- rounds and the lands and grooves look good(borescope). Your better off to have an Accuracy Tune Up done on the existing action. This would also involve shortening the barrel say 1/2 inch an cutting a new chamber in your existing barrel. Cutting a new recessed 11 degree crown, squaring the action (truing the threads), barrel, and the bolt face (this is also the time to install a Sako Extractor, new firing pin/spring). Lapping the bolt lugs, and raceways. Truing or replacing the recoil lug, etc.. Then glass-bedding your stock. You might as well install a Jewel Trigger also. The most critical step is having everything trued to the Center- line Axis of your rifle bore. This will cost in the neighborhood of $550.00+ versus $1,000.00+, to do the action with a new barrel. But, if you prefer a new barrel, than go with the best you can afford.

Everything I've read on this forum suggest you speak with Defensive Edge (Shawn Carlock). I spoke with him sometime ago. He's extremely knowledgeable and his cost are very reasonable. Don't trust your rifle to just any gunsmith. Pay to have it done right the first time.

I know of several police departments who have thousands of rounds fired through their sniper rifles that continue to have minute of angle accuracy. They all utilize the knowledge of a gunsmith with extensive aerospace machining experience that are held to .0001+ tolerance. DE demonstrates such expertise.

Where ever possible save your money to buy quality hunting accessories. Rack grade Remington 700 Long Actions/Short Actions are the basis for many working sniper and custom rifles.

***How through has your rifle cleaning been. Copper fouling has a significant affect on accuracy. If the patches are blue you need to clean. Also it is not uncommon for factory barrels to have tight sections along the bore. They can be removed with JB Bore Paste or non-embedding lapping compound #800. Clean the trigger assembly with lighter fluid and a drop of oil. Take the bolt apart and clean the firing pin/spring and oil. NO GREASE! I've have cleaned up allot of accuracy problems with my buddies rifles using this method.

GOOD LUCK

GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

Have you shot your rifle at different distances? Saying you only get 1" at 100 yards certainly doesnt mean a whole lot. If you plan on shooting at 500 yards and you get good groups there would mean much more.

Also what kind of scope are you using? Could be a scope upgrade would do more than a barrel swap.

Just food for thought.

I have a Winchester Sporter in .300 win mag. Its been a good gun so far but after playing with it, about 1" is all that I can do. I am going to send it in to get blueprinted and while there I'm thinking of having a new barrel put on it.

The decision part is whether I want to stay with a .300 win mag or go to a 7 mm rem mag. Is one going to be better than the other for hunting (mostly deer and elk) and just shooting out to 800-900 yards?

MOA is pretty good for a 300 WinMag (or 7Mag) with sporter weight barrel and hunting bullets.

Both will benefit with a custom, medium weight barrel like Kreiger, Shilen or other decent barrelmaker. Even then, I wouldn't expect 1/2 MOA consistently, even with match grade bullets like Sierra's Match Kings.

Try Sierra's 190 grain M/kings and see how well the gun shoots. Wait at least a minute between shots for the barrel to cool.

Harvey/ Ga

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.