300 win mag

Wolf76

I'm looking to buy a bolt action rifle in 300 WM. This will be an elk rifle and the trip is a little over a year away. I'm not looking to spend 2K for just the rifle, but will entertain 1000+ if it makes a marked difference in performance.gun)
I've looked at an Accumark, R700 5R, M70, Vanguard S2, A Bolt, CZ.

I'd prefer stainless or black nytrite.

I have Vanguard S2 in 308 that is 1/2 MOA with 165 bullets. I've been very impressed because it shoot that well cold or hot barrel. Thought about getting another in SST 300 WM.

BUT I love the R700s, especially the sendero (and likely the 5R).

Can you make a recommendation based on general overall accuracy. I don't mind tweaking a rifle (kinda fun). But don't want to basically rebuild it to shoot.

If it matters, I'm a reloader and already have everything for 300 WM. Looking to shoot the 200 accubond.

Thanks

I bought about a year and a half ago, a Remington Milspec 5R 300WM. Only thing done to it was a Timney trigger at 2.5#, and bedded the lug recess. Shoots 3"-5"groups at 1000 yards with 210 Bergers or 210 LRAB's loaded to 2900FPS. Total cost under $1100. I have 3 other 308 Milspecs that also give custom grade accuracy right out of the box except for the trigger replacement and lug bedding. Don't think the lug bedding was even necessary but I did it for confidence reasons. I think these rifle get an extra measure of attention from Remington.my 308's all shoot the same load with the same .25-.5MOA perfornance, velocity, and ES.

I purchased myself a Savage 110 FCP in 300 Win mag about two years ago. It was the only one locally at the time with a heavy barrel which i like. The only thing I have done with mine is added a muzzle break (soon to be replace with a Silencer) and worked out some loads. I had the 210 berger VLD Hunting giving me 3/4 MOA with factory barrel and trigger. I have some 215 Berger Hybrids that i'm tweaking still and are shooting 1/2 MOA at 300 yds. last time i was out. I know it's not a Remington, but it works for me.

I bought about a year and a half ago, a Remington Milspec 5R 300WM. Only thing done to it was a Timney trigger at 2.5#, and bedded the lug recess. Shoots 3"-5"groups at 1000 yards with 210 Bergers or 210 LRAB's loaded to 2900FPS. Total cost under $1100. I have 3 other 308 Milspecs that also give custom grade accuracy right out of the box except for the trigger replacement and lug bedding. Don't think the lug bedding was even necessary but I did it for confidence reasons. I think these rifle get an extra measure of attention from Remington.my 308's all shoot the same load with the same .25-.5MOA perfornance, velocity, and ES.

Exactly my thoughts with the 5R. I have a 26" 300 WM bedded into the factory stock, however, I went with Rifle Basix trigger on this one that I really like.

I purchased a Remington 700 XCR tactical 300. win mag and had an HS precision stock at home which i preferred over the Bell and Carlson. All i did was thread it and thats it. I loaded up 210 Bergers behind H1000 and was smacking steal shot after shot at 1100 yards and won the mini match between 200-600 yards with that combo for a precision sniper course i attended

Haven't really considered the savage because of the the muzzleloader I bought a few years ago. The savage muzzleloader was the biggest *** gun I've ever handled. Design was good, but it was manufactured cheaply. NEVER had a gun shoot so bad in my life. After bedding the lug AND replacing the barrel, she's a shooter. Also not a fan of the accutriger.
Just prefer a more out of the box ready gun.
Thanks for the question and sorry for the bias against savage.

Sorry for your bad experience with savage. Everyone gets a bad experience with a factory rifle sooner or later if you go through a few. Mine was with a Tiika.

Anyway, not trying to change your mind, but I purchased a Savage LRH in 300 WSM several months ago and was very impressed with it. It would shoot 185 Berger Hybrids .76 to 1.1 at 300 yards all day long. And you know what? I sold it to fund a custom build.... Big mistake.

If you go Remington, then I would suggest as others have the 5R or Sendero.

What is the difference between the sendero/milspec/long range hunter from remington?

Thank you for the feedback.

long range hunter is a basic heavy barrel stock is less expensive than the sender or 5-r. the sender and 5-r are the same rifle , one has flutes. any of those three would be good. I have a bunch of senderos. that is what I would get unless a great buy on the 5-r came along.

long range hunter is a basic heavy barrel stock is less expensive than the sender or 5-r. the sender and 5-r are the same rifle , one has flutes. any of those three would be good. I have a bunch of senderos. that is what I would get unless a great buy on the 5-r came along.

There is also a difference with the 5R rifling in the Milsoec. The Sendero has standard rifling. The rifling design of the Milspec is the same as used in he M24. It is claimed to be easier to clean and is less prone to fowling when hot and subjected to high volume firing. These claims seem to be consistent with the 5R's I own compared to my Remingtons with standard rifling. For normal hunting use I don't think there is much of. a difference except I will say that all 4 of my Milspecs produce were exceptionally accurate right out of the box with little or no fuss.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.