.300 Win Mag VS 375 H&H

375 H&H or .300 Win Mag

• 375 H&H

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • .300 Win Mag

Votes: 42 82.4%

• Total voters
If you can shoot through them end to end…..what more can be expected or wanted! Unless a very large bear…..I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't get end to end penetration!

Perhaps a "**** poor" choice of bullets! 🤔 I, for 2 hunting seasons, used a 300 grain bullet in my H&H that wouldn't exit a deer or decent sized Black Bear.….both broadside shots! Proper bullet selection can cure a lot of supposed ills with any cartridge! memtb
Black bear isn't a brown bear. Neither is a dear. A lot smaller, with a different physiology. Honestly, for a deer or a Blackie, a .375 is an overkill round for amateurs that hunt 3 weeks a year. Biggest I'd go there is a .300 short mag, with a .270 preference. Been hunting Grizzlies since I was 6, so have it down. 1-2 shots, plus one to make sure it's not faking. All about placement, and what's happening. Used to butcher reindeer with a single shot .22 hornet. Faster flatter .300 winmag with less recoil and better ballistic penetration.

Last edited:
Was raised at a hunting lodge. Generally .375h&h is a decent gun, but isn't as good for bear as a .300 win. Has a lot of kinetic shock, but not enough penetration

Perhaps a "**** poor" choice of bullets! 🤔 I, for 2 hunting seasons, used a 300 grain bullet in my H&H that wouldn't exit a deer or decent sized Black Bear.….both broadside shots! Proper bullet selection can cure a lot of supposed ills with any cartridge! memtb
I would definitely like to know which .375 bullets weren't penetrating well.

Black bear isn't a brown bear. Neither is a dear. A lot smaller, with a different physiology. Honestly, for a deer or a Blackie, a .375 is an overkill round for amateurs that hunt 3 weeks a year. Biggest I'd go there is a .300 short mag, with a .270 preference. Although, we used to butcher reindeer with a single-shot .22 hornet.

I respectfully disagree! There is no shoulder fired, easily carried in the field rifle that is "overkill"! There may be hunters that are "overgunned" with the .375 H&H…..though, the same can be said for the 7mm's, the 300's, and the .338's! A hunter has got to, or at least should know, his or her limitations!

A .375 H&H will generally produce less blood shot meat than equally placed high velocity rounds such as , 270 Win., 7 REM Mag., or the 300 magnums…..yet will very effectively kill them! memtb

I respectfully disagree! There is no shoulder fired, easily carried in the field rifle that is "overkill"! There may be hunters that are "overgunned" with the .375 H&H…..though, the same can be said for the 7mm's, the 300's, and the .338's! A hunter has got to, or at least should know, his or her limitations!

A .375 H&H will generally produce less blood shot meat than equally placed high velocity rounds such as , 270 Win., 7 REM Mag., or the 300 magnums…..yet will very

A .375 H&H will generally produce less blood shot meat than equally placed high velocity rounds such as , 270 Win., 7 REM Mag., or the 300 magnums…..yet will very effectively kill them! memtb
More recoil means slower 2nd shot, loses speed way faster, which means less penetration. Bigger round hitting animal at a slower speed means more bloodshot meat and less penetration. Less penetration means less likely to hit an organ. Organ less likely taken put, bear more likely to get up. Don't believe me tho. Go to the site, and ask my old man. He's only killed a few hundred grizzlies.

I would definitely like to know which .375 bullets weren't penetrating well.

These were Sierra 300 grain SPBT's produced in the early to mid '80's. The bullets would completely come apart, only leaving small schards of jacket material. They were much improved later, as per my conversations with Craig Boddington, but not before I swore to never try them again.

I went to Hornady 270 grain SP's and never had any issues with them.

I tested the Sierra's in a side by side test with the Hornady's in identical test media. The Hornady's gave the perfect, classic mushroom shown in advertisements. I could find any portions of the Sierra's of any appreciable size!

Personally…..I expect much better performance from a bullet that "may" be used for any large or potentially dangerous game animal! memtb

More recoil means slower 2nd shot, loses speed way faster, which means less penetration. Bigger round hitting animal at a slower speed means more bloodshot meat and less penetration. Less penetration means less likely to hit an organ. Organ less likely taken put, bear more likely to get up. Don't believe me tho. Go to the site, and ask my old man. He's only killed a few hundred grizzlies.

Well, ya got that right…..I don't believe you! memtb

Attachments

• 20230709_125007.jpg
    20230709_125007.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 43
I have both; moose in the willows, H&H for sure. I did shoot an elk with my .375 when my .300 was on the fritz before being rebuilt. But, wouldn't have taken a 400 yard shot with it, which I would with the .300, as there was a 30"gong at 400 at the range I could hit every time without holdover or dialing just by holding at the top of it from sticks.

Never got around to going to Africa, which is why I bought it.

I have both; moose in the willows, H&H for sure. I did shoot an elk with my .375 when my .300 was on the fritz before being rebuilt. But, wouldn't have taken a 400 yard shot with it, which I would with the .300, as there was a 30"gong at 400 at the range I could hit every time without holdover or dialing just by holding at the top of it from sticks.

Never got around to going to Africa, which is why I bought it.

With a bit of "hold over"…..a 400 yard shot is a "chip shot" for an H&H!

Hopefully you get that African trip…..I never got mine either! memtb