.300 H&H Mag vs. .300 Win Mag in a magnum action

Tumbleweed: What length are you loading the 215's to in your friend's .300 Win Mag and also what is the barrel length of the 721?

Tumbleweed: What length are you loading the 215's to in your friend's .300 Win Mag and also what is the barrel length of the 721?

I'll have to look at my notes on the exact COAL of his 300 later but I know it's 3.6 something. It fits in his factory Rem 700 magazine with about .020" clearance. The 721 barrel is 26" by itself and then has a radial muzzle break.

I know others have done better. I have an old Rem 721 300H&H that I restored for my kids to use for elk and deer. I load the 215's in it as well. It tops out at around 2700fps no matter what powder is used. Not sure I would say the H&H is the equal of the 300 Win with heavy bullets. To say it's between a 30-06 and 300 Win Mag may be more accurate. Nevertheless, it's a fun old gun to shoot and is a darn good shooter at .75MOA on paper to 880 yards /QUOTE]

I don't have current experience with the H&H, rather it was before Berger became common to see.

Curious as a .300 H&H fan as to which powders you used. Not questioning your results just curious to hear a bit more about your experience.

I wouldn't say the H&H is equal to the Winchester comparing velocity, but rather as a legitimate long range cartridge in it's own right. With individual "fast" rifles meeting or exceeding "slow" individual rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag.

I know others have done better. I have an old Rem 721 300H&H that I restored for my kids to use for elk and deer. I load the 215's in it as well. It tops out at around 2700fps no matter what powder is used. Not sure I would say the H&H is the equal of the 300 Win with heavy bullets. To say it's between a 30-06 and 300 Win Mag may be more accurate. Nevertheless, it's a fun old gun to shoot and is a darn good shooter at .75MOA on paper to 880 yards /QUOTE]

I don't have current experience with the H&H, rather it was before Berger became common to see.

Curious as a .300 H&H fan as to which powders you used. Not questioning your results just curious to hear a bit more about your experience.

I wouldn't say the H&H is equal to the Winchester comparing velocity, but rather as a legitimate long range cartridge in it's own right. With individual "fast" rifles meeting or exceeding "slow" individual rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag.

The powders I tried during load development were Reloder 22, Reloder 17, H1000, Retumbo and even Reloder 33 just for kicks. On paper, the Reloder 22 should have been a good performer but came in quite a bit slower than H1000. Reloder 33 produced a little over 2700fps but hit pretty good pressure. Had to seat the bullet right out to the rifling to have enough case capacity for it too.

It's just very happy with H1000. I've got the 215 seated to work in the magazine and at that COAL I am right at 100% load density and max load. There is just barely an extractor swipe mark. It produces 2,670 fps with about 5fps ES. Accuracy at 100 is not impressive as this heavy bullet going relatively slow has not stabilized yet. However, at 300 yards it's not uncommon to shoot .6MOA. Shot a pair at 880 yards a couple weeks ago and the pair was around 6" with 1" vertical spread. It's a really fun rifle to shoot too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.